Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-31 18:03:03

darrylbudd

Issues after Manjaro XFCE update

Recently I updated. I finally had a chance to unlock the system to see how it went and I must admit the problems are unfortunately numerous.

First I was not able to unlock the PC from the lockscreen, there was a new error message that appeared. Something like "Authentication Failed". No big loss, nothing unsaved, so I restarted from the lock screen menu.

Unfortunately, when I login after restarting:

1. The (typically bottom) panel is not present at all,
2. All the desktop icons are rearranged (they simply run down from the top left),
3. Attempting to click a desktop launcher file (to launch an application) a red error dialog with title "Launch error" and message in large letters, "Failed to run "programname.desktop". The body of the error message states, "This feature requires a file manager service to be present (such as the one supplied by Thunar)." May seem minimally related to something that happened in 2021 and 2018/2019.
4. Clicking the 'Rubbish' and 'Home' icons on the desktop results in nothing.

Thankfully I was able to launch my browser from the command line to talk to folks here, but the above would be shocking for anyone who might not have that understanding.

Any help would be great.

It has been a few months since I last updated. The following output may help identify what went wrong:

:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace at-spi2-atk with extra/at-spi2-core? [Y/n] y
:: Replace atk with extra/at-spi2-core? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: mesa will be installed before its libglvnd dependency
warning: openimageio will be installed before its opencolorio dependency
warning: lib32-mesa will be installed before its lib32-libglvnd dependency

:: Running pre-transaction hooks...
(1/4) Creating Timeshift snapshot before upgrade...
==> skipping timeshift-autosnap due skipRsyncAutosnap in /etc/timeshift-autosnap.conf set to TRUE.
(2/4) Removing linux initcpios...
(3/4) Remove Firefox Distribution Settings
(4/4) Removing old entries from the info directory file...
:: Processing package changes...
(1/2) removing at-spi2-atk
(2/2) removing atk                                               

() upgrading glibc
warning: /etc/locale.gen installed as /etc/locale.gen.pacnew
Generating locales...

() installing adwaita-cursors                            
() installing default-cursors
warning: /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme installed as /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme.pacnew
() installing db5.3
() installing qt5-imageformats
() installing http-parser
() installing libgit2
() installing ocl-icd
() installing libcamera
() installing pipewire
Created symlink /etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/pipewire.socket → /usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire.socket.
() installing libwbclient
() installing gperftools
() installing highway
() installing libjxl
() installing nftables
() installing js102
() installing gcr-4
Created symlink /etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/gcr-ssh-agent.socket → /usr/lib/systemd/user/gcr-ssh-agent.socket.
() installing thunarx-python
() installing python-autocommand
() installing cython  
() installing python-typing_extensions
() installing python-pydantic
() installing python-inflect                                                         
() installing python-cssselect
() installing python-lxml
() installing python-numpy
() installing qca-qt5
() installing minizip-ng
() installing pybind11
() installing libaec
() installing hdf5
() installing openimageio
() installing openshadinglanguage
() upgrading lightdm 
warning: /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf installed as /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.pacnew
() upgrading mkinitcpio
warning: /etc/mkinitcpio.conf installed as /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew
() installing foomatic-db-ppds
() installing foomatic-db-nonfree
Optional dependencies for foomatic-db-nonfree
    foomatic-db-nonfree-ppds: nonfree PPD files [pending]
() installing foomatic-db-nonfree-ppds
() installing elementary-icon-theme
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
( 1/35) Creating system user accounts...
Assertion 'fclose_nointr(f) != -EBADF' failed at src/basic/fd-util.c:128, function safe_fclose(). Aborting.
/usr/share/libalpm/scripts/systemd-hook: line 28: 345950 Aborted
(core dumped) /usr/bin/systemd-sysusers

Last edited by darrylbudd (2022-12-31 18:06:30)

#2 2022-12-31 21:00:59

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Issues after Manjaro XFCE update

Hello and welcome.

( 1/35) Creating system user accounts...
Assertion 'fclose_nointr(f) != -EBADF' failed at src/basic/fd-util.c:128, function safe_fclose(). Aborting.
/usr/share/libalpm/scripts/systemd-hook: line 28: 345950 Aborted
(core dumped) /usr/bin/systemd-sysusers

It looks like your update failed and your system is probably in an inconsistent state. Probably best to reach out to the folks at the manjaro forums to help get your update completed successfully first. It will probably solve your problems.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-01-01 12:57:41

darrylbudd

Yes thanks ToZ, that error did get my attention, however things did seem to progress after that, I'll add some of the extra steps that it successfully completed here for a bit of extra completeness:

( 2/35) Updating journal message catalog...
( 3/35) Reloading system manager configuration...
( 4/35) Updating udev hardware database...
( 5/35) Applying kernel sysctl settings...
( 6/35) Creating temporary files...
( 7/35) Reloading device manager configuration...
( 8/35) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
( 9/35) Updating the MIME type database...
(10/35) Updating fontconfig configuration...
(11/35) Rebuilding certificate stores...
(12/35) Updating module dependencies...
(13/35) Restoring locales
(14/35) Restarting cronie for libc upgrade...
(15/35) Updating linux initcpios...

I just wasn't sure which problem was the catalyst for the issues I'm experiencing now, and because I prefer this forum interface over the Manjaro one, I thought I'd post it here first. Anyway I've just posted the issue on the manjaro forums here:

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/issues-afte … ate/130614

Thanks and hopefully someone can help.

#4 2023-01-01 13:06:37

ToZ
Administrator

Try creating a second user account and logging in through that account to see if things work better. Might help to see if its a system or profile issue.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2023-01-02 11:34:01

darrylbudd

Good suggestion, ToZ. I tried to do that with the following command (in case someone else needs to try same):

# Add the user (I've left them out off the wheel group so it can't use the super user privileges)
sudo useradd -m -g users -G audio,lp,optical,storage,video,games,power,scanner -s /bin/bash newuser

# When done, remove the new user
sudo userdel newuser

The new user has the same issues... only superficial differences (ie. the non-functioning desktop icons are the default icons for new users and the desktop image is the default background).

I have experimented with a custom '.theme' file in the past to change icons. Wondering if it has something to do with this. The above-mentioned output from the pacman update has some strange warnings:

() upgrading glibc
warning: /etc/locale.gen installed as /etc/locale.gen.pacnew
Generating locales...

() installing default-cursors
warning: /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme installed as /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme.pacnew

() upgrading lightdm 
warning: /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf installed as /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.pacnew

() upgrading mkinitcpio
warning: /etc/mkinitcpio.conf installed as /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew

I can seek to look at the files and assess if something that I did resulted in the above warnings but chances are I will not know what is going on, especially not with regard to the update.

#6 2023-01-02 11:46:49

ToZ
Administrator

Hmmm. Something strange is going on. Can you post back the output of the following commands (if you can't get into a desktop, try logging in via a console (Ctrl+Alt+F3):

pacman -Qi xfdesktop
pacman -Qi libxfce4ui

And if you have an ~/.xsession-errors file, can you post the contents of that file after trying a GUI login?

#7 2023-01-02 13:43:49

darrylbudd

Thanks for being so timely! Sorry for my relative slowness, slight chaos at my end.

pacman -Qi xfdesktop

Name            : xfdesktop
Version         : 4.18.0-1
Description     : Xfce's desktop manager
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfdesktop/start
Licenses        : GPL2
Groups          : xfce4
Provides        : None
Depends On      : libxfce4ui  libwnck3  exo  thunar  garcon  hicolor-icon-theme
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : None
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 3.30 MiB
Packager        : Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@archlinux.org>
Build Date      : Fri 16 Dec 2022 00:44:35
Install Date    : Mon 26 Dec 2022 14:44:22
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature

pacman -Qi libxfce4ui

Name            : libxfce4ui-nocsd
Version         : 4.16.1-1
Description     : Commonly used Xfce widgets among Xfce applications (No CSD fork)
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://www.xfce.org/
Licenses        : GPL2
Groups          : None
Provides        : libxfce4ui=4.16.1-1
Depends On      : libxfce4util  gtk3  xfconf  libsm  startup-notification  libgtop  libepoxy  hicolor-icon-theme
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : exo  garcon  thunar  thunar-volman  xfburn  xfce4-appfinder  xfce4-notifyd  xfce4-panel  xfce4-power-manager  xfce4-session xfce4-settings  xfce4-taskmanager  xfce4-terminal  xfdesktop  xfwm4
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : libxfce4ui
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 1964.74 KiB
Packager        : Philip Mueller <philm@manjaro.org>
Build Date      : Mon 06 Sep 2021 19:10:19
Install Date    : Fri 10 Jan 2022 00:25:52
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature

Finally wrt an ~/.xsession-errors file (I removed A LOT of messages about errors relating to another user):

/usr/bin/iceauth:  creating new authority file /run/user/1001/ICEauthority
gpg-agent: a gpg-agent is already running - not starting a new one
xfce4-panel: symbol lookup error: xfce4-panel: undefined symbol: xfce_gdk_device_grab
Thunar: symbol lookup error: Thunar: undefined symbol: xfce_gtk_toggle_tool_button_new_from_action_entry
Thunar :Failed to load plugin file `/usr/lib/thunarx-3/thunar-apr.so': /usr/lib/thunarx-3/thunar-apr.so: undefined symbol: xfce_gtk_label_set_a11y_relation
(xfdesktop:654205): thunarx-CRITICAL **: 11:02:32.520: thunarx_provider_module_list_types: assertion 'module->list_types != NULL' failed
(xfdesktop:654205): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 11:02:32.521: g_type_module_unuse: assertion 'module->use_count > 0' failed
Thunar :Failed to load plugin file `/usr/lib/thunarx-3/thunar-apr.so': /usr/lib/thunarx-3/thunar-apr.so: undefined symbol: xfce_gtk_label_set_a11y_relation
(xfdesktop:654205): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 11:02:32.533: g_type_module_unuse: assertion 'module->use_count > 0' failed
** (xfce4-clipman:654292): WARNING **: 11:02:40.371: Unable to register GApplication: An object is already exported for the interface org.gtk.Application at /org/xfce/clipman
(xfce4-clipman:654292): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 11:02:40.371: g_application_get_is_remote: assertion 'application->priv->is_registered' failed
(xfce4-clipman:654292): GLib-WARNING **: 11:02:40.371: g_set_application_name() called multiple times
** Message: 11:02:40.395: tray.vala:166: checking updates is not enabled, exiting
(xfce4-power-manager:654335): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: 11:02:40.915: could not map keysym 1008ffa8 to keycode
** (xfce4-power-manager:654335): WARNING **:11:02:40.956: No outputs have backlight property
xfce4-power-manager-Message: 11:02:41.012: Set kernel brightness switch to 0
(xfce4-power-manager:654335): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: 11:02:41.021: Failed to get keyboard max brightness level : GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Object does not exist at path “/org/freedesktop/UPower/KbdBacklight”
DEBUG:root:_DATA_DIR is /usr/share/application-utility
DEBUG:root:_PREF_FILE is /usr/share/application-utility/preferences.json
DEBUG:root:self.file is {'desktop': '', 'main': '/usr/share/application-utility/default.json'}
INFO:root:json to merge : /usr/share/application-utility/default.json
xfsettingsd: Another instance took over. Leaving...
/usr/bin/xfce4-mime-helper: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/xfce4-mime-helper: undefined symbol: xfce_gtk_label_set_a11y_relation
/usr/bin/xfce4-mime-helper: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/xfce4-mime-helper: undefined symbol: xfce_gtk_label_set_a11y_relation
** (xfce4-clipman:654292): WARNING **: 11:03:41.269: Status Icon is not embedded
(xfce4-clipman:654292): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 11:03:41.270: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

#8 2023-01-02 15:04:46

ToZ
Administrator

You are using libxfce4ui-nocsd which is incompatible with Xfce 4.18. You need to install the upstream libxfce4ui package in its place. Xfce 4.18 now has optional CSD so the nocsd package is no longer required. It is interfering and causing all these issues for you.

#9 2023-01-02 16:00:40

darrylbudd

Totally champion-istic, ToZ!

Thanks. I did notice 'nocsd' and wondered about it and you confirmed my suspicion. How is it that this was missed by pacman? Should pacman have noticed a deprecated application and replaced it? Or at least warned about it in some way?

For anyone playing along at home, use commands:

# Install the correct ui (enter 'y' when
#  it asks to remove the conflicting 'nocsd' package)
sudo pacman -S libxfce4ui

# Load the panel and that loads and fixes everything. :)
xfce4-panel

Mystery solved smile smile smile

Thanks again, ToZ

BTW how does one toggle 'nocsd'?

#10 2023-01-02 19:41:52

ToZ
Administrator

darrylbudd wrote:

Should pacman have noticed a deprecated application and replaced it? Or at least warned about it in some way?

libxfce4ui-nocsd is in the AUR. The package maintainer should fix this on their end to ensure that libxfce4ui 4.18 supercedes that package.

BTW how does one toggle 'nocsd'?

Settings Manager > Appearance > Settings > (uncheck) "Enable header bars in dialogs". Note that this will only disable CSD/headerbars from Xfce components - gnome apps will still have headerbars.

Board footer