WankoP

XFCE4 SysTray Plugin - Getting rid of duplicate Wifi Icons

SCREENSHOT OF THE ISSUE:

l5RlXFo.png

THINGS THAT I TRIED:

1) I checked that I was only running 1 nm-applet process:

izu@izubox:~$ ps aux | grep nm-applet | grep -v grep
izu         1919  0.1  0.3 621316 48236 ?        Sl   14:27   0:00 nm-applet

2) I confirmed that I'm only using one network device which is the interfaces integrated on my board:

izu@izubox:~$ ip a | grep "^[0-9]" | awk '{print $2}' | sed "s/://"
lo
enp1s0
wlp0s20f3

3) Removing the deprecated properties:

First I killed the nm-applet process. Then I removed it from the known hosts by Clear Known Items which removes it from the list

Documentation:
https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfconf/xfconf-query

xfconf-query --channel xfce4-panel --property /plugins/plugin-4/hidden-legacy-items -r
xfconf-query --channel xfce4-panel --property /plugins/plugin-4/known-legacy-items -r

The problem with this is that it still appears whenever I reboot the system

4) I even tried hiding it in the Status Notifiers tab as explained here:

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=66950

aIoOi6m.png

But this just a bad workaround to hide the problem that can easily be exposed again by clicking the arrow on the taskbar:

OTxbemF.png

Any ideas ?

Ue4P7m7.png

EDIT: Forgot to mention when I run the nm-applet directly in the terminal after killing it, only once instance would show up in the tray. Also, no duplicates in Sessions and Startup, and nothing duplicated in the Current Sessions tab.

Last edited by WankoP (2023-01-04 15:27:07)

#2 2023-01-04 15:40:02

ToZ
Administrator

Re: XFCE4 SysTray Plugin - Getting rid of duplicate Wifi Icons

Hello and welcome.

Which plugins do you have added to the panel? Xfce has recently deprecated some old systray/indicator plugins and created a new status notifier plugin that is intended to handle all tray apps:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep "/plugins/plugin-.. "

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-01-04 16:14:40

WankoP

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

Which plugins do you have added to the panel? Xfce has recently deprecated some old systray/indicator plugins and created a new status notifier plugin that is intended to handle all tray apps:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep "/plugins/plugin-.. "

Here you go, there's nothing unusual that I see:

izu@izubox:~$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep "/plugins/plugin-"
/plugins/plugin-1                            whiskermenu
/plugins/plugin-11                           separator
/plugins/plugin-11/style                     1
/plugins/plugin-12                           clock
/plugins/plugin-12/digital-format            %I:%M %p
/plugins/plugin-2                            tasklist
/plugins/plugin-2/grouping                   1
/plugins/plugin-2/show-handle                false
/plugins/plugin-2/window-scrolling           false
/plugins/plugin-3                            separator
/plugins/plugin-3/expand                     true
/plugins/plugin-3/style                      0
/plugins/plugin-6                            systray
/plugins/plugin-6/hidden-items               <<UNSUPPORTED>>
/plugins/plugin-6/hidden-legacy-items        <<UNSUPPORTED>>
/plugins/plugin-6/known-items                <<UNSUPPORTED>>
/plugins/plugin-6/known-legacy-items         <<UNSUPPORTED>>
/plugins/plugin-7                            showdesktop
/plugins/plugin-8                            pulseaudio
/plugins/plugin-8/enable-keyboard-shortcuts  true
/plugins/plugin-8/mpris-players              firefox.instance3480;vlc
/plugins/plugin-8/show-notifications         false
/plugins/plugin-9                            power-manager-plugin

I believe I interpreted that last post wrong which gave me the impression that the Status Notifiers tab was the one that was deprecated, and not the Systray Icons: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=66950

Despite it showing as <UNSUPPORTED>, contents can be seen in the Settings Editor here:

U4BOKXU.png

Items marked as hidden under the Systray Icons tab will show under the hidden-legacy-items property.

#4 2023-01-04 16:26:18

ToZ
Administrator

Sorry my bad, it should be "Status Tray" plugin. If you go to Panel Properties > Items tab, can you confirm that you have "Status Tray Plugin" listed?

Can you also check if you have a package like "indicator-network" installed? Also check your process list for any sort of "indicator" processes.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2023-01-04 17:44:16

WankoP

No worries, I was just mentioning the other post in that link. Here is an screenshot of the Items tab

IRkHBqO.png

I did find this process that I did kill -9

izu@izubox:~$ ps aux | grep indicator | grep -v grep
izu         1935  0.0  0.2 489408 32656 ?        Sl   17:12   0:00 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xfce4/panel/wrapper-2.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xfce4/panel/plugins/libsystray.so 6 25165833 systray Status Tray Plugin Provides status notifier items (application indicators) and legacy systray items

Upon killing the process it did remove that deprecated icon, but now the new question is how can I keep this persistent ? I can easily make a script to do so, but there has to be somewhere in the settings to disable this. Earlier before I made this thread I initially thought it was the Xfce Notification Daemon in the Application Autostart tab:

i7w0RLu.png

I even went about checking here, but I don't save any sessions. I'll show it anyways though:

dXzVRqG.png

#6 2023-01-04 18:20:19

ToZ
Administrator

WankoP wrote:

EDIT: Forgot to mention when I run the nm-applet directly in the terminal after killing it, only once instance would show up in the tray. Also, no duplicates in Sessions and Startup, and nothing duplicated in the Current Sessions tab.

Try clearing your saved sessions cache. Delete the contents of ~/.cache/sessions while not logged into Xfce.

#7 2023-01-04 18:39:46

WankoP

I don't even have sessions saved unfortunately, not even a folder listed under there. I made sure I was under the right home folder too.

EDIT: I don't know what exactly I did, but the deprecated icon stopped showing. Below is the same indicator process and a few others that I see running now:

izu@izubox:~$ ps aux | grep indicator | grep -v grep
izu         2075  0.1  0.2 535972 42404 ?        Sl   19:07   0:00 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xfce4/panel/wrapper-2.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xfce4/panel/plugins/libsystray.so 6 25165833 systray Status Tray Plugin Provides status notifier items (application indicators) and legacy systray items
izu         2083  0.0  0.0 857704  7672 ?        Sl   19:07   0:00 /usr/libexec/ayatana-indicator-session/ayatana-indicator-session-service
izu         2087  0.1  0.0 273244 13640 ?        Sl   19:07   0:00 /usr/libexec/ayatana-indicator-keyboard/ayatana-indicator-keyboard-service
izu         2088  0.0  0.0 328892 12672 ?        Sl   19:07   0:00 /usr/libexec/ayatana-indicator-application/ayatana-indicator-application-service

The only thing I did was install MATE to see how it functioned on Wayland since VLC was having this screen tearing issue with videos running in fullscreen. After the installation failed to log me into the desktop, I decided to remove the packages along with a bunch of other packages it wanted to autoremove. I'm guessing perhaps there was a package that I needed to remove under the autoremove list, but I don't recall installing anything that would cause this

Thanks for providing the help that you did, I really appreciate it! smile

Last edited by WankoP (2023-01-04 19:19:31)

#8 2023-01-04 20:45:53

WankoP

Nevermind, now it does this weird thing where each reboot I need to remove the plugin and it back into the tray....

EDIT: I decided to switch my DE over to Fedora where I'm not having these issues. I probably could have successfully got it working with Xubuntu but I'm not a fan of spins

Last edited by WankoP (2023-01-05 02:01:06)

#9 2024-03-12 22:08:53

rchfox

Thank you!

In my case (XFCE 4.16 on Xubuntu 22.04 LTS) I solved the Network Manager Applet duplication issue by deleting ~/.cache/sessions while not logged into Xfce, as suggested by ToZ:

ToZ wrote:
WankoP wrote:

Try clearing your saved sessions cache. Delete the contents of ~/.cache/sessions while not logged into Xfce.

Last edited by rchfox (2024-03-12 22:11:22)

Board footer