Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-08 06:24:28

james

Installing Newer XFCE4-Panel Breaks Whisker Menu

I had an issue with only getting an 'i' icon instead of the app icon in my system tray. I found a fix as a result of [1]. This is fixed in xfce4-panel 4.16.4 (requires installing some dev packages). Unfortunately, 4.16.3 is what ships with Ubuntu 22.04.
I attempted to bump the version up, but this caused several problems, chief among them being removing whisker menu from the panel and preventing it from being re-added. I tried running it independently but couldn't get any more info from it other than exiting 1.

I have 2 questions:

1) Why does bumping the version of xcfe4-panel seem to break whisker-menu?

2) There are some other breakages here (other missing plugins), even after reverting to the system xfce4-panel. Is there anyway to get fully back to the state prior to installing 4.16.4?

1: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=15074

Thanks,
~ James

#2 2023-01-08 16:20:55

james

Re: Installing Newer XFCE4-Panel Breaks Whisker Menu

The icon for the "Status Tray Items" plugin (from xfce4-panel) is gone and does not reappear even after re-installing xfce4-panel again this morning.
Unlike my original issue, this is *not* a missing icon in the tray, but the icon for the tray itself in the "Items" section of "Panel Preferences" is gone.

#3 2023-01-08 18:28:08

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Installing Newer XFCE4-Panel Breaks Whisker Menu

james wrote:

1) Why does bumping the version of xcfe4-panel seem to break whisker-menu?

Hard to tell exactly without logs, but my guess is that the installed version of whiskermenu is looking for some libraries/routines from xfce4-panel that no longer exist or have been deprecated.

2) There are some other breakages here (other missing plugins), even after reverting to the system xfce4-panel. Is there anyway to get fully back to the state prior to installing 4.16.4?

Depends on how you installed/uninstalled the newer version of xfce4-panel. The original packaged version of xfce4-panel should work.

The icon for the "Status Tray Items" plugin (from xfce4-panel) is gone and does not reappear even after re-installing xfce4-panel again this morning.
Unlike my original issue, this is *not* a missing icon in the tray, but the icon for the tray itself in the "Items" section of "Panel Preferences" is gone.

Are you able to post back the contents of your ~/.xsession-errors file after a fresh login?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer