Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-20 13:27:50

Friedrich

[SOLVED] Dark Filename when Thunar is not active

Hi,

i'm not sure this is a problem with thunar or the theme.

Lets say i have 2 windows, thunar and firefox. firefox is the activ window, thunar inactive. when there is a file or folder that is marked the highlight color was grey - now with xfce 4.18 its blue. This makes the file name or folder name nearly unreadable. i have attached 2 screenshots.

xfce 4.16: https://ibb.co/RY1sqCh
xfce 4.18: https://ibb.co/tmLwNm3

Last edited by Friedrich (2023-02-03 14:04:33)

#2 2023-01-20 17:42:03

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Dark Filename when Thunar is not active

This is a theme issue. The following should help:

.thunar .standard-view:backdrop .view:selected { color: white; background-color: red}

...change the colours to suit.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-01-20 22:11:21

Friedrich

That works.

Is there an overview of all elements i can customize?

What are the colors that are used with xfce 4.16?

#4 2023-01-20 23:15:38

ToZ
Administrator

Is there an overview of all elements i can customize?

Not really but you can reference the GTK3 CSS documentation, Properties documentation and widget-specific information. The other method is to use the GTK Inspector. To use it, first run the following command to enable to shortcut:

gsettings set org.gtk.Settings.Debug enable-inspector-keybinding true

...then with thunar in focus, press Ctrl+Shift+I (capital letter I as in Island) and a dialog will display (similar to the one displayed at the previous link). Click on the "Properties" dropdown and select CSS and browse to your content.

What are the colors that are used with xfce 4.16?

Default upstream Xfce doesn't have any specific colours defined, but it does use the Adwaita theme as default. It's colours are listed here. But if you are using another theme then you will need to look up the colours for that theme.For example, Greybird light colours are defined here.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2023-02-03 13:04:46

Friedrich

ToZ wrote:

This is a theme issue. The following should help:

.thunar .standard-view:backdrop .view:selected { color: white; background-color: red}

...change the colours to suit.

I have a general question to that. With ".thunar" at the beginning of the line the following adjustments work only in thunar. Does this work for all applications that use gtk3, e.g. disable tooltips in an application that doesn't have this function?

#6 2023-02-03 13:43:22

ToZ
Administrator

Yes, ".thunar" means you are targeting the thunar class and most likely only thunar uses this.

If you remove ".thunar" then it will affect all applications that define a ".standard-view" class. I'm not sure how many do or whether there is some consistency among apps here. The other thing to consider is that ".standard-view" may be built upon another widget that is more common and that changes to that widget would impact ".standard-view" and be more global in nature. Only the theme developer would be able to know for sure.

Tooltips is a special case - since GTK doesn't provide the flexibility to have per-app tooltip configs via css classess, the app itself would need to program in any configurable options. As is the case with the window-buttons (tasklist) plugin.

Board footer