Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-04 12:49:46

clive

Printing fails from Firefox

I have a problem in printing from Firefox 102.8-esr which has the DuckduckGo app. I am using Xubuntu 22.04 and the printer is a Canon TS8150.

Host: clive-HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-SFF Kernel: 5.15.0-67-generic x86_64
    bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 Distro: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)

I can print from other apps including MousePad .txt files, LibreOffice .odt files, Atril .pdf files and from Gimp.

When I attempt to print from Firefox the printer shows data being sent but does not print. If the printer is off when the data is sent from Firefox the job shows in the print queue and is sent to the printer when the printer is switched on but does not print.

I have tried various suggestions from the web including running Firefox as root and made a change in cupsd.conf changing in <policy-default> <send-document> from "user @owner @system" to "user". These changes did not solve the problem.

I have been able to print from Firefox in the past but since than have upgraded from Ubuntu 18.04 and changed to Firefox-esr although I would have been able to print from corresponding versions of Firefox.

Any suggestions welcome. Clive

#2 2023-03-05 03:06:56

BenyaminL
Website

Re: Printing fails from Firefox

Is that app is native? Is it on flatpak or snapd? I always able to print using firefox from any distro as I concern. You can try backup the firefox profile folder, then clean up all the firefox installation, then reinstall it (BEWARE, DO THIS IF YOU ARE SURE YOU CAN BACKUP THE WHOLE FOLDER, I DON'T COURAGE PEOPLE TO LOST ALL THEIR DATA, ESPECIALLY IT'S not SYNCED)

#3 2023-03-11 14:34:10

clive

Benyamin Thanks for the response. It is a native app, not snapd or flatpak. I have not had a problem with Firefox before but this is the first time I have installed Xubuntu 22.04. I will try a reinstall.

#4 2023-03-11 18:04:18

mint4all

clive wrote:

Benyamin Thanks for the response. It is a native app, not snapd or flatpak. I have not had a problem with Firefox before but this is the first time I have installed Xubuntu 22.04. I will try a reinstall.

Greetings!

Except for my system hardware (a 14yo Dell Inspiron desktop with 1st-gen intel i5), I am basically configured like your's (Mint 21.1 using ubuntu 22.04.1 as base, xfce 4.16, firefox 110.0.1 deb version). After upgrading from Mint 21.0 to 21.1 a few weeks ago, I could no longer print -- any apps, not just FF. I eventually found out that my printer setup (HPLIP) get messed up during that upgrade. My attempts at installation of HPLIP-3.22.10 (latest version) failed on dependencies; then trying to re-install those missing dependencies failed on ubuntu's repos.

Rather than messing up with my software sources settings, eventually I found out that I had to re-install HPLIP-3.21.12 (backlevel version). Voila - that fixed all my printing problems. I am not sure that your printer will work with the foregoing fix (is your Canon printer an HP-laserjet lookalike?), but i suspect that your CUPS setup is broken (i had printing problems on xubuntu before). Worth looking into that one ... Good luck.

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#5 2023-03-14 15:51:02

clive

Solved - the Firefox printer setup interacts with the system printer setup in odd ways. So in Firefox printer setup: set selected pages etc; then go to "using system dialog" still in FF setup; goto Job tag and for "Add Cover Page" set Before and After to None then Apply. Print was then OK from FF and Thunderbird.

It seems the printer was ignoring print requests from FF which did not have a Cover Page!

Thanks to all who responded previously. Clive

Board footer