Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-07 22:39:51

KitchM

Document Organizer and Opener

It would be nice if I could find a plugin or similar to handle a grouping of documents which could be opened as a group at a time.  For instance,  let's say there is a project one is working on and that they span four documents.  I would like to see the group of documents and be able to click  once and have the associated program open them all at once.

I tried Places, but that is not quite the right thing and is not customizable.

Does anyone know of another program or utility for that?

#2 2023-03-08 01:38:51

mint4all

Re: Document Organizer and Opener

Welcome to this forum!

Answer: very simply, use Thunar (file manager) to open the folder your docs are saved in. Then, using the ctrl+leftclick techniq to highlight the (multiple) files you want to open at once, and use Thunar's "open" or "open with..." options to open that group of docs with your default or app of choice.

Tested this method reliably with xed, mousepad, and LO-Writer. In xed & mousepad, the group of docs appears as tabs, and in LO use the "Windows" menu-option to navigate among the open docs. Have fun ...

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#3 2023-03-08 04:11:10

KitchM

That method does not open them as a preexisting group.  You must first select them as a group, and only can do so if they are in one directory, rather than many.

#4 2023-03-08 13:40:36

Bamber

I have the same query.
If I search for images with catfish and the search results produce, say, 8 images, and then I highlight all and chose open, it'll open my default image viewer (fine) on 8 instances (bad).
But why Catfish and not the associated program's search function? Because the latter is usually basic and won't produce proper results.

#5 2023-03-08 19:56:11

KitchM

Catfish would be used to find a file based upon certain criteria.  File associations determine what program opens the found file(s).  That is the correct and normal way.

However, my question is more of a way to organize a set of tagged documents in groups.  So if a person had a set of documents on auto repair and another on the subject of house building, the user should be able to start working where he or she left off on his subject of house building, for example, by opening only all his documents on one subject or set with one simple click.  Then the word processor would open separate instances of each document.

The word processor program keeps a list of the most recent documents opened, as most programs do.  However, they are not in a group and each document must be found in the list and opened individually.  That is a waste of time.  Worse yet is a set of documents or files from more than one program; such as images and documents.

Board footer