Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-26 10:08:20

JmaCWQ

Desktop Icon Not Matching Thunar [SOLVED]

Hello All,

I have a file type with an icon that displays differently on the Desktop to what it does in Thunar.
They are .trk files created either by the NNG software iGO8 or GPSBabel and they've had the standard WINE wineglass icon for as many years as I can remember.
Since upgrading MX Linux to 21.3, Thunar 4.18.3 this has changed.
On the Desktop it now displays the same as a .gpx file's icon.

It's not a problem in Thunar but is an issue when working from the Desktop as I would much prefer the icons to be different like they are in Thunar.
Searching the web hasn't come up with anything about this, though I'm not really sure what terms I should be searching for as I've never seen this issue before, don't want to mess anything up so thought I better ask.

Anyone know how I sort this so the icons display the same in Thunar and on the Desktop?
Thumbnails are disabled in Thunar and on the Desktop, I never have thumbnails enabled.
Pic below of how it shows correctly in Thunar on the right of the image, and the different icon on the Desktop on the left.

Thanks

wrong-desktop-icon.png

Last edited by JmaCWQ (2023-03-09 17:37:04)

#2 2023-03-01 17:35:39

Sadfa

Re: Desktop Icon Not Matching Thunar [SOLVED]

Hi, you might find this thread useful. https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=15760

In the worst case scenario you'll need to create a whole entire theme. ToZ does a great job of laying it out in that thread.

I don't know if my call to makes the system more consistent was ever followed up on. I don't use the internet much these days, so probably will not respond further.

#3 2023-03-08 08:29:03

JmaCWQ

Hello,
Thanks for that but I'm afraid it's a bit beyond me the info in that thread neutral
I have tried different icon themes, some work and show this icon correctly and some do not, it seems the ones that now work are .svg files only, but the other icons that change along with the themes I dislike.

All the icons in my preferred theme are .png's, and have worked fine everywhere including on the Desktop until upgrading to 4.18.
Now all these icons still work fine everywhere except this one icon on the Desktop.

Can this one icon file be changed so when it's displayed on the Desktop it displays as desired?

Last edited by JmaCWQ (2023-03-08 08:32:08)

#4 2023-03-09 17:36:44

JmaCWQ

I ended up getting this to work correctly with my favourite icon theme, though I'm not 100% sure how I did it big_smile

The file "application-x-wine-extension-trk.png", which is the desired icon, I apparently pasted into the correct folder in the icon theme, all the folders inside the "apps" folder of the icon theme I pasted it into.
It now works and displays the correct icon on the Desktop and in Thunar.

The theme is from the FS Icons Ubuntu set that I came across years ago and liked, the Sky set I think it was originally called, been using it ever since.

Last edited by JmaCWQ (2023-03-09 17:38:46)

Board footer