Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-10 21:12:19

TrueDru

Writing xfce4 panel plugin

Hi,
I'm trying to write a plugin for xfce4, it will display a picture on the panel (the logic is similar to how a plugin that displays the battery charge works, i.e. it changes the picture over time)
The problem is that I don't understand how to write the plugin correctly, I tried modifying https://gitlab.xfce.org/panel-plugins/x … ple-plugin and its python version but I can't find documentation on how to do it correctly, I want to write the plugin in C but now I can't get further than creating a desktop file, it looks like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=myplugin
Comment=A plugin to do something
Icon=/path/to/png
X-XFCE-Module=myplugin
Type=Plugin
X-XFCE-PluginCategory=X-Xfce-Panel-Plugin
X-Xfce-Panel-PluginID=myplugin
X-Xfce-Panel-PluginType=launcher
X-XFCE-API=2.0
X-XFCE-Unique=false

But logs tell me this: "Plugin myplugin: Desktop file "/usr/share/xfce4/panel/plugins/myplugin.desktop" has no "Xfce Panel" group"
I tried it on debian with xfce4-panel 4.16.2 (Xfce 4.16) and on xubuntu with the same version of panel.
Please, help me with searching the documentation

#2 2023-03-11 11:19:38

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Writing xfce4 panel plugin

Hello and welcome.

As a first step, have you tried building the sample plugin to make sure everything installs and works fine?

The sample plugin .desktop file, for example, looks like this. Maybe try tweaking yours to be similar?

You can also review the code of other plugins to see specific information on how they were programmed.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer