Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-04-20 08:46:13

twisted

How to remove user list from login dialog?

I just want to enter a username & password without giving any clue as to what users might exist.

I have Ubuntu 20.04.
xfce version 4.14

thanks

#2 2023-04-20 11:13:01

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How to remove user list from login dialog?

Note that the "login dialog", or Display Manager, is not a part of Xfce, but rather something that is provided by the distro that you are using. Ubuntu uses lightdm and there is some info at this link about hiding the user list that seems relevant.

Or optionally, you could look at using another greeter that better suits your needs.

Or just disable the display manager and login in via text console where you will be prompted for username/password.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-04-20 12:19:23

twisted

Thanks, following the instructions at the lightdm link, I have the login behaving as I want.

>Or just disable the display manager and login in via text console where you will be prompted for username/password.

Is that also not part of Xfce? That would be even better as half the time I work at the command line anyway. As long as I could somehow start the desktop environment should I need it.

#4 2023-04-20 14:00:59

ToZ
Administrator

twisted wrote:

>Or just disable the display manager and login in via text console where you will be prompted for username/password.

Is that also not part of Xfce? That would be even better as half the time I work at the command line anyway. As long as I could somehow start the desktop environment should I need it.

No, its not. Xfce is a userspace solution, meaning that it starts "after" you login. Anything that happens before you login is either managed by the kernel or other tools that the distro would install/use.

Glad to hear the link resolved the issue for you.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer