Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-04 19:28:00

rny1xfce

xfce4-panel is unable to respond to or execute commands

folks,
using mx-linux 'wildflower' to learn Python. everything running fine for past 6mos - now xfce4-panel opens, mouse cursor moves, can select an item off the taskbar --> but nothing executes. i have tried ctl-alt-t to open a terminal and i get a terminal, but past that i don't know how to 're-connect' the panel to execute it's icons.

and yes, my language might indicate i am a newbie, but i do install the updates presented by mx-linux and i seem to recall that the system has been operating oddly for the past 2 weeks.
can someone suggest some data gathering so i can specify the problem more clearly?

i have firefox/thunderbird/pycharm installed - but pretty much everything else is what comes with the basic mx-linux install. all of this stuff is on the panel, all open, none execute. to shut down linux i have to do that by pressing 'power off' on the laptop and that pops up the 'restart/etc/etc' dialogue box and i select the power-off option.

thanks for any/all suggestions
[except suggesting i go back to windows],
ron

#2 2023-05-04 22:24:24

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfce4-panel is unable to respond to or execute commands

Hello and welcome.

now xfce4-panel opens, mouse cursor moves, can select an item off the taskbar --> but nothing executes.

What do you mean by "now xfce4-panel opens"? Do you mean at log in?

Can you post back the contents of ~/.xsession-errors? Maybe there is something in there that can help identify the issue.

The other test you could run is creating a new user account and logging in with that user to see if the problem persists.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer