Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-27 22:22:52

Jakob77

[Solved] User folder for icons.?

Is there perhaps a Xfce default user folder defined for Panel and Desktop icons.?

Maybe in "~/.config/xfce4/" somewhere..
I also have a folder "~/.icons" but I guess that is for mouse coursers only.

Last edited by Jakob77 (2023-05-28 14:13:15)

#2 2023-05-28 01:24:19

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] User folder for icons.?

Jakob77 wrote:

Is there perhaps a Xfce default user folder defined for Panel and Desktop icons.?

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but Xfce follows the Icon Theme Spec to support icons. Some (most?) Xfce components do install their own (fallback) icons - but they can and will be overwritten by any theme icon that contains an icon with the same name.

That's not totally correct - you can place some icons in there as well. It's mentioned in the "Directory Layout" section of the above linked document.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-05-28 06:55:23

Jakob77

ToZ wrote:
Jakob77 wrote:

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but Xfce follows the Icon Theme Spec to support icons. Some (most?) Xfce components do install their own (fallback) icons - but they can and will be overwritten by any theme icon that contains an icon with the same name.

That's not totally correct - you can place some icons in there as well. It's mentioned in the "Directory Layout" section of the above linked document.

Thank you.
I have just seen it a couple of times when I restore my Panel it can't find my user icons. The launchers are there but the icons are gone so I have to find them again.
And the latest is that desktop launcher user icons vanish when I create a new user.
I don't know what is going on, I just think if there is a good Xfce user folder for user icons I better try to find it.

I have tried to put them in ~/.icons instead of ~/bin but then they disappeared, and a restart did not bring them back.
When I put them back in ~/bin they come back immediately on the desktop and after restart also in Panel.

#4 2023-05-28 09:39:46

ToZ
Administrator

I have just seen it a couple of times when I restore my Panel it can't find my user icons. The launchers are there but the icons are gone so I have to find them again.

You'll need to provide some examples. Can you post back one of your problematic launcher .desktop files from ~/.config/xfce4/panel? It will be in a folder starting with "launcher-".

And the latest is that desktop launcher user icons vanish when I create a new user.

If your icons are located in somewhere on one user's home directory, they will not be accessible to another user. In which case, you should look at putting the icons somewhere accessible to all users of a system, like /usr/local/share/icons.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2023-05-28 13:00:18

Jakob77

Jakob77 wrote:
ToZ wrote:
Jakob77 wrote:

Thank you.
I don't know what is going on, I just think if there is a good Xfce user folder for user icons I better try to find it.

I have tried to put them in ~/.icons instead of ~/bin but then they disappeared, and a restart did not bring them back.
When I put them back in ~/bin they come back immediately on the desktop and after restart also in Panel.

Thank you.

Here is one:

/home/user_name/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-49/168513359821.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=NET ON
Comment=
Exec=netx on
Icon=/home/user_name/bin/changes-allow2.png
Path=
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false
X-XFCE-Source=file:///home/user_name/Skrivebord/NET%20ON.desktop

The whole user folder has been copyed to the new user when it was created. So the user in quest has the icons in his own user folder.
I would prefere a folder that didn't demand sudo but I decided to surender to this folder:

/usr/local/share/icons

And when I looked at the file above and compared it to others I could not help myself trying an edit:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=NET ON
Comment=
Exec=netx on
Icon=changes-allow2.png
Path=
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false
X-XFCE-Source=file:///home/user_name/Skrivebord/NET%20ON.desktop

Reboot

No, to my surprise the icon did not come back by doing that.

#6 2023-05-28 14:11:38

Jakob77

Thank you again, you were right from the beginning.

~/.icons

actually works.

The icons from there can be seen in the repo. I don't know why but they have to be picked again.

And when I just do that they stay in place on the desktop for a new user after being created and copied.

Until I run into more trouble I say the subject is solved. :-)

#7 2023-05-28 14:20:04

ToZ
Administrator

For the first file, the specified icon is located in "/home/user_name/bin/". Also note that the Xfce Source file is located at "file:///home/user_name/Skrivebord/NET%20ON.desktop". Both of these would need to be copied over to the new user account, changing the "user_name" variable to match the new user name and making sure the new user has the appropriate rights to those files/folders. You will also need to make sure that the launcher is properly created for the new user (just copying over the launcher .desktop file won't work).

Also, changing the icon name in the ICON= line requires that the changes-allow2.png file is available in the correct location to be found. Where is the changes-allow2.png file located?

And finally, which distro and what version of Xfce are you using?

#8 2023-05-28 20:02:42

Jakob77

When I removed the path in this line:

Icon=/home/user_name/bin/changes-allow2.png

the path to the icon was:

/home/user_name/.icons/changes-allow2.png

There must have missed a detail somewhere but it works now.

I use:
Desktop: Xfce 4.18.1 tk: Gtk 3.24.24 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm 4.18.0 vt: 7
dm: LightDM 1.26.0 Distro: MX-21.3_x64 Wildflower January 15  2023

And I use a MX-tool to create a new user and copy user data.

Last edited by Jakob77 (2023-05-28 20:24:13)

Board footer