Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-12 05:15:00

golinux

Clearlooks-Phenix title bar font color

I am tweaking colors in Clearlooks-Phenix to match my desktop.  I have read the Xfwm4 theme how-to and also this thread.  I prefer to have lighter bg and darker fonts and have been able to achieve that everywhere except the title bar font which stubbornly remains at #ffffff even after it's been replaced with #000000 in EVERY configuration file including themerc.  What am I missing here?

#2 2016-01-12 14:02:37

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Clearlooks-Phenix title bar font color

Can you post back the contents of the themerc file?

And to confirm, have you set the Window Manager theme to Clearlooks-Phenix as well?

xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/theme

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-01-12 16:56:03

golinux

ToZ wrote:

Can you post back the contents of the themerc file?

# Clearlooks XFWM4 by Casey Kirsle

show_app_icon=true
active_text_color=#000000
inactive_text_color=#939393
title_shadow_active=false
title_shadow_inactive=false
button_layout=O|HMC
button_offset=2
button_spacing=2
full_width_title=true
maximized_offset=0
title_vertical_offset_active=1
title_vertical_offset_inactive=1
ToZ wrote:

And to confirm, have you set the Window Manager theme to Clearlooks-Phenix as well?

When the Window Manager theme is set to Clearlooks-Phenix the font is now black but the titlebar reverts to the Clearlooks blue even though that color is not present in any of the configuration files! (The xpms have not yet been converted though.)

1.png

When set to default, the bar turns to the lighter color - #E2E7C1 - which is the selected-bg-color but the font is now the Clearlooks white with the gray shadow.

2.png

I tried adding theme_selected_bg_color=#E2E7C1 and also selected_bg_color=#E2E7C1 to the themerc but it made no difference.

#4 2016-01-12 20:07:41

ToZ
Administrator

golinux wrote:

When the Window Manager theme is set to Clearlooks-Phenix the font is now black

Yes, as per the "active_text_color=#000000" line in the themerc file.

but the titlebar reverts to the Clearlooks blue even though that color is not present in any of the configuration files! (The xpms have not yet been converted though.)

The titlebar background colours are coded in the xpm files (title*.xpm). You will need to change it there.

When set to default, the bar turns to the lighter color - #E2E7C1 - which is the selected-bg-color but the font is now the Clearlooks white with the gray shadow.

I'm not sure what "default" is. You'll need to post back the themerc file for that theme as well as the contents of at least title-3-active.xpm (so I can see what colours are defined). It is possible that the xpm files have gtk-color-pickup codes in them (or that colour is coded directly into the xpm files).

I tried adding theme_selected_bg_color=#E2E7C1 and also selected_bg_color=#E2E7C1 to the themerc but it made no difference.

xfwm doesn't support those variables, they are GTK3 configuration variables.

Have a read through this thread. It discusses xfwm themes and gtk colour pickups.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2016-01-13 01:56:56

golinux

ToZ wrote:
golinux wrote:

but the titlebar reverts to the Clearlooks blue even though that color is not present in any of the configuration files! (The xpms have not yet been converted though.)

The titlebar background colours are coded in the xpm files (title*.xpm). You will need to change it there.

That's what I thought might be going on.

ToZ wrote:
golinux wrote:

I'm not sure what "default" is. You'll need to post back the themerc file for that theme . . .

The Window Manager has a default option.  Note that that theme is a tweaked gtk2 xfce theme (to match one of the Devuan desktop wallpapers):

default.png

I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that 'Default' relates to this line in /usr/share/xfwm4/defaults

theme=Default
ToZ wrote:

. . . as well as the contents of at least title-3-active.xpm (so I can see what colours are defined). It is possible that the xpm files have gtk-color-pickup codes in them (or that colour is coded directly into the xpm files).

Here's the title-3-active.xpm from Clearlooks-Phenix:

/* XPM */
static char *title___active[] = {
/* columns rows colors chars-per-pixel */
"5 24 24 1 ",
"  c #7BA2D2",
". c #7CA3D3",
"X c #81A7D6",
"o c #83A9D7",
"O c #86ABD9",
"+ c #8CB0DC",
"@ c #92B4DF",
"# c #7DA4D3",
"$ c #96B7E1",
"% c #84AAD8",
"& c #90B3DE",
"* c #7EA5D4",
"= c #99BAE3",
"- c #97B8E2",
"; c #8DB1DD",
": c #80A6D5",
"> c #B2CCED",
", c #94B6E0",
"< c #7AA1D1",
"1 c #455D7C",
"2 c #8FB2DE",
"3 c #82A8D6",
"4 c #4E76A8",
"5 c #93B5E0",
/* pixels */
"11111",
">>>>>",
"=====",
"-----",
"$$$$$",
",,,,,",
"55555",
"@@@@@",
"&&&&&",
"22222",
";;;;;",
"+++++",
"OOOOO",
"%%%%%",
"ooooo",
"33333",
"XXXXX",
":::::",
"*****",
"#####",
".....",
"     ",
"<<<<<",
"44444"
};
ToZ wrote:
golinux wrote:

xfwm doesn't support those variables, they are GTK3 configuration variables.

Have a read through this thread. It discusses xfwm themes and gtk colour pickups.

Thanks for that link and excellent advice in this thread.  Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out eventually.

Last edited by golinux (2016-01-13 01:57:51)

#6 2016-01-13 02:15:26

ToZ
Administrator

golinux wrote:

I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that 'Default' relates to this line in /usr/share/xfwm4/defaults

The theme should exist in /usr/share/themes/Default. Looks for the xfwm files in the xfwm4 folder under Default.

I actually like to see the same file from the /usr/share/themes/Default/xfwm4

Thanks for that link and excellent advice in this thread.  Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out eventually.

No worries. Its a complicated topic.

#7 2016-01-13 03:12:02

golinux

ToZ wrote:
golinux wrote:

The theme should exist in /usr/share/themes/Default. Looks for the xfwm files in the xfwm4 folder under Default.

I actually like to see the same file from the /usr/share/themes/Default/xfwm4

Here's the requested file.  It looks like it's passing on color information to the xpm layout:

/* XPM */
static char * title_active_xpm[] = {
"4 22 2 1",
"   c None",
"@  c #C0C0FF s active_color_1",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@",
"@@@@"};

No worries. Its a complicated topic.

Indeed it is.  But I think I'm making some progress.  I might just forget about Clearlooks-Phenix and work with the default xfce4 theme instead.  Looks like it will be easier to deal with.

#8 2016-01-13 03:38:55

ToZ
Administrator

"@  c #C0C0FF s active_color_1",

Yes it is. active_color_1 is using the GTK's "bg[selected]" assigned colour.

#9 2016-01-13 21:13:31

lottin

Also take a look at TraditionalOK from mate-themes, which is a fork of Clearlooks-Phenix with better support for the most recent GTK versions in my experience.

#10 2016-01-14 01:46:30

golinux

Thanks for the suggestion lottin.

I'd just like to report that I've made some progress.  Here are three options to match one of the devuan wallpaper colors (there are nearly 10 in all).  The first two are based on Xfce and the third on Clearlooks-Phenix.  I managed to convert all the Clearlooks-Phenix xpms.  Will still have to do the pngs. The white on light controls would also have to be changed to black on light green.  But at least the title bar font now looks as it should.  My only hesitation in using Clearlooks is that it requires selecting that option in the window manager settings to sort out the font issue..  Don't know if every user would know to do that.  Perhaps there is a setting somewhere in the code to ensure that it is selected.

Xfce-leafy-dark.jpg

Xfce-leafy-light.jpg

clearlooks-leafy.jpg

#11 2016-01-14 16:59:06

golinux

OK.  Found some weirdness in the gtk3 of the xfce theme.

Toolbar looks like this with gtk2 (and always has):

gtk2.png

But now looks like this with gtk3:

gtk3.png

I have only messed with color substitution.  Not changed any of the layout.  Any hints what's going on?

#12 2016-01-14 18:19:08

ToZ
Administrator

The toolbar part of the application is part of the appearance theme - not the window manager theme. The titlebar is part of xfwm4.

What changed in your system between the two screenshots?

#13 2016-01-14 19:11:57

golinux

ToZ wrote:

The toolbar part of the application is part of the appearance theme - not the window manager theme. The titlebar is part of xfwm4.

What changed in your system between the two screenshots?

The first screenie is the Xfce theme with gtk2 only enabled.

The second is with the gtk3 component restored.  It is somehow nuking the icon spacing.

#14 2016-01-14 19:24:02

ToZ
Administrator

This will depend on the toolkit used to develop the application (Klondike). If Klondike is developed and built using the GTK3 toolkit, then you will need to edit the GTK3 css files to fix it.

Whats interesting though is that if Klondike is a GTK3 app, then without the GTK3 component of the theme available, it would have used its fallback - which is I believe Adwaita (or a distro-specific override).

What I don't understand though is how the titlebar background colour changed. Do you have any transparency on the titlebar and we're just seeing part of different backgrounds coming through?

#15 2016-01-14 20:16:45

golinux

ToZ wrote:

This will depend on the toolkit used to develop the application (Klondike). If Klondike is developed and built using the GTK3 toolkit, then you will need to edit the GTK3 css files to fix it.

Whats interesting though is that if Klondike is a GTK3 app, then without the GTK3 component of the theme available, it would have used its fallback - which is I believe Adwaita (or a distro-specific override).

Aisleriot is a GNOME solitaire card game collection.  I have both the recommends - gnome-card-data - and suggests - yelp - installed.  It is a gtk3 app because the menus are styled with gtk3 and look 'normal'.  Maybe I found a bug?

ToZ wrote:

What I don't understand though is how the titlebar background colour changed. Do you have any transparency on the titlebar and we're just seeing part of different backgrounds coming through?

No transparency.  All I did was change the titlebar and base[selected] color.  The spacing problem exists with every one of the Xfce-based gtk3 enabled themes  . . . I just checked.  But a few of them seem to have fixed the title bar issue.

(Maybe it needs systemd . . .)  roll

Last edited by golinux (2016-01-14 20:17:41)

#16 2016-01-14 20:27:01

ToZ
Administrator

golinux wrote:

No transparency.  All I did was change the titlebar and base[selected] color.  The spacing problem exists with every one of the Xfce-based gtk3 enabled themes  . . . I just checked.  But a few of them seem to have fixed the title bar issue.

Ok. Then you need to tweak the GTK3 theme configuration files to fix it. Unfortunately, I'm not that proficient at GTK3 themeing to offer assistance.

No, this doesn't have anything to do with systemd. Its just a theme issue.

#17 2016-01-14 20:59:38

golinux

ToZ wrote:
golinux wrote:

Ok. Then you need to tweak the GTK3 theme configuration files to fix it. Unfortunately, I'm not that proficient at GTK3 themeing to offer assistance.

I'll try to figure it out but maybe I should file a bug? 

ToZ wrote:

LOL!!  I was just taking a cheap shot.  Not being serious.  wink

#18 2016-01-14 23:18:28

ToZ
Administrator

golinux wrote:
ToZ wrote:
golinux wrote:

I don't think its actually a bug though, or perhaps I'm missing the issue. Which part do you think is a bug? 

ToZ wrote:

Sorry if my comment came across a little harsh. It wasn't meant to be. Just wanted to make sure you weren't heading in the wrong direction.

#19 2016-01-15 00:19:14

golinux

ToZ wrote:
golinux wrote:
ToZ wrote:

I don't think its actually a bug though, or perhaps I'm missing the issue. Which part do you think is a bug?

I sent an email to the person who did the gtk3 port for the Xfce theme.  Waiting for a response.

ToZ wrote:

Sorry if my comment came across a little harsh. It wasn't meant to be. Just wanted to make sure you weren't heading in the wrong direction.

No offense taken.  Maybe you're not aware that Devuan is a systemd-free fork of Debian.  So it was a bit of a joke.  smile

#20 2016-01-15 10:31:05

Mitt

Hi, golinux, nice to see Devuan community here!

There are a couple of Clearlooks themes for xfwm4 on xfce-look.org:

1. http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/C … tent=90384 - Classic plus some colours (four styles at all);
2. http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/C … ent=137055 - Adds app icon.

I am not sure whether you are going to make your own Clearlooks, just in case if you don't know.

Hope this helps, peace.

Last edited by Mitt (2016-01-15 10:43:07)

#21 2016-01-15 16:00:10

golinux

Mitt wrote:

Hi, golinux, nice to see Devuan community here!

There are a couple of Clearlooks themes for xfwm4 on xfce-look.org:

1. http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/C … tent=90384 - Classic plus some colours (four styles at all);
2. http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/C … ent=137055 - Adds app icon.

I am not sure whether you are going to make your own Clearlooks, just in case if you don't know.

Hope this helps, peace.

Thanks Mitt.  I'm gonna have to make my own theme(s) because the Devuan wallpaper colors are rather offbeat as you will see when the beta is released.  It is turning into a substantial project with a rather steep learning curve.  But well worth it to have a polished desktop for Devuan beta and beyond.

Last edited by golinux (2016-01-15 16:05:04)

#22 2016-01-30 18:32:01

golinux

I'm going to resurrect this thread because I have discovered another Clearlooks-Phenix quirk. I have installed my completed themes in /usr/share/themes and made the necessary change to appearance and in the window manager.  User apps look great but other than the titlebar, root apps like synaptic still revert to the Clearlooks blue default within the frame.  root apps pick up the Xfce-modified colors just fine.  Any thoughts?

#23 2016-01-31 08:26:32

sixsixfive
Website

golinux wrote:

I'm going to resurrect this thread because I have discovered another Clearlooks-Phenix quirk. I have installed my completed themes in /usr/share/themes and made the necessary change to appearance and in the window manager.  User apps look great but other than the titlebar, root apps like synaptic still revert to the Clearlooks blue default within the frame.  root apps pick up the Xfce-modified colors just fine.  Any thoughts?

chearlooks phenix is abandoned, synaptic is a GTK3 app that uses old abandoned GTK3 widgets

also which frame do you mean? if you mean list check if you have all those things styled https://github.com/sixsixfive/Glare/blo … e/view.css

#24 2016-01-31 17:12:16

golinux

sixsixfive wrote:
golinux wrote:

chearlooks phenix is abandoned, synaptic is a GTK3 app that uses old abandoned GTK3 widgets

Well, that sucks but good info to have.

sixsixfive wrote:

also which frame do you mean? if you mean list check if you have all those things styled https://github.com/sixsixfive/Glare/blo … e/view.css

In root aps like synaptic, all the hilight colors within the xfwm frame revert to the Clearlooks blue.  IOW it's not picking up the new color theme.  The titlebar does use the appropriate color and/or xpms

#25 2016-01-31 20:08:56

sixsixfive
Website

>In root aps like synaptic

did you set the same GTK theme for root?

Board footer