Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-11 18:36:54

Sungjin Kim

Problem with triple monitor, maximized window spans across monitors.

Hi, I've been using XFCE quite long time with great pleasure. Thank you for your wonderful project.

I've been using dual monitor attached to NVIDIA GT710 without any problem. However, recently I got my third monitor (all of them are DELL U2412M, 1920x1200). And because GT710 only provided a DVI and an HDMI port (those sums up two), I decided to use onboard intel graphics adapter for the third. Using the both nvidia and intel was not quite easy for me, so I googled and wrote xorg.conf like below, mainly following the document shipped with the ndivia driver.

Section "Module"
    Load "modesetting"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
EndSection

And, actually to enable the monitor,

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --auto
xrandr --output HDMI-0 --panning 3840x1200+0+0/1920x1200+0+0/0/0/0/0

(By the way, in fact, this setting is for two monitors, one attached to nvidia, one attached to intel. If things went right, I could attach my all three monitors, but you know, the situation is not quite good for now smile

I'm currently using XFCE 4.12 provided by slackware 64 14.2.

Maybe my problem is not so great. The display is almost fine. The problem is that when I place a new window or resize an existing one, XFCE does not care the multiple monitor environment. It did aware when I was using only the nividia driver. But now it places new window half left monitor, half right monitor, or when I switch a terminal or web browser into  full screen, it spans across monitors. I suspect that the problem comes from the one big framebuffer made by nvidia driver, but other window managers do not show this behavior (and they are some ancient wm like windowmaker and fluxbox! Sorry for those folks smile

I do not want to give up my royalty on XFCE for this subtle matter. Can I earn any clue or hint about this problem?

Regards,
Sungjin Kim

Board footer