Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-06 08:57:27

wpk

xfce4-mouse-settings-CRITICAL **: Your XI is too old (1.3) version 1.4

Error observed on xfce, it seem to be fixed on the link mentioned, but perhaps need help to confirm if this the case? if yes, how can i fix after download the file? thanks

https://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-setting … c027932baa

#2 2017-01-06 14:18:27

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfce4-mouse-settings-CRITICAL **: Your XI is too old (1.3) version 1.4

Hello and welcome.

What that error message says is that your Xserver is reporting that it has XI Extensions version 1.3 but Xfce requires 1.4. Can you provide some more information about your setup:

- which distro and distro version are you using?
- which version of Xfce and is this from your distro's repositories or custom built?
- which version of Xorg are you running?
- how are you running Xfce? Locally or through vnc/rdesktop? (I usually see issues like this when run through vnc).

The link you posted is to a patch that was added to the code back in 2009 to ensure that you had at least version 1.4.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-03-23 23:31:17

gfwellman

Hi, I'm having the same problem as the original poster.  Trying to run the mouse-settings gives
xfce4-mouse-settings-CRITICAL **: Your XI is too old (1.3) version 1.4

I'm pretty new to 'nix so I might need some instructions for how to get the information you might want to diagnose this.
The machine is a virtual machine at Amazon Web Services to which I connect with x2go

lsb_release -a
says the release is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Xfce is 4.10

The following person also reported this problem and thinks maybe the XI version isn't being correctly reported.  I don't know how to get the version of my libXI, but it seems highly unlikely it's so old.

http://www.aptosid.com/index.php?name=P … pic&t=2170

Thanks!

#4 2017-03-24 02:16:28

ToZ
Administrator

My understanding of this error is that:

1. xfce4-settings requires xrandr version 1.4
2. The version of x2go (or possibly the server component running on the server) that you are using only supports version 1.3.

I am unfamiliar with the Amazon web services. Does it offer vnc/rdp connectivity options for which you are using x2go? If so, what happens if you use other vnc/rdp (or other remote connection) apps? Maybe its just an issue of using an app/protocol that supports xrandr 1.4?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2017-03-24 18:42:13

gfwellman

Thanks!
The other guy (who knows more unix than me, but that ain't saying much) said
------------
I don't know what xrandr is...we don't have it installed...when I try to install it, I get "Package xrandr is not available, but is referred to by another package."
------------
so you can see we're a little hard up for knowing what we're doing.

You're likely right that using another remote connection app might solve the problem.  I'm not sure what I'd have to install on the server to make that work.  The basic AWS unix server generally needs to have RDP server software installed if you want to use anything other than terminal windows (e.g. puTTY).  Supposedly one can use Windows RDC, but we haven't gotten that to work, so the other guy chose X2GO as something he believed would work, and it does, except for the problem I have with the mouse pointer.

The only reason this whole issue came up is because I can barely see the mouse pointer.  I'm connecting from a laptop with a high screen resolution, and for some reason this causes the pointer to be ridiculously tiny.  It even stays tiny if I change the DPI in the X2GO connection settings.  (It happened that the X2GO connection was defaulting to 240 DPI which made everything other than the mouse pointer unusably large, and I had to change it to 96 - but apparently this has nothing to do with the mouse pointer.)

It's possible that this issue will be moot once I get the laptop hooked up to a lower-rez, but physically larger, monitor.

If the external monitor doesn't fix the problem, what would you recommend as the best remote desktop software to use?

Thanks!

#6 2017-03-24 20:03:31

ToZ
Administrator

I don't know what xrandr is...we don't have it installed...when I try to install it, I get "Package xrandr is not available, but is referred to by another package."

It's probably already installed with the Xserver. I believe in ubuntu the package is called something like libxrandr.

The basic AWS unix server generally needs to have RDP server software installed

Do you know exactly which package is installed to provide this service?

if you want to use anything other than terminal windows

what would you recommend as the best remote desktop software to use?

Try installing the "rdesktop" package and use a command like:

rdesktop xx.xx.xx.xx

... (replace xx.xx.xx.xx with the ip address of the server you are connecting to) to see if it works. rdesktop is a command-line utility (no front-end app) that has many features. You can always check it's man page:

man rdesktop

...to see all the other options.

There are other GUI apps that you can use (vinagre and teamviewer come to mind), but try this one first to see if you can get the basic connection to work with the correct support for for xrandr. But perhaps the issue is with the rdp server component.

Board footer