Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-29 14:47:12

wuwei

[SOLVED] Problem with "Sound Menu" displayed in indicator plugin

Hi, I'm trying to resolve a problem related to Sound Menu displayed in indicator plugin.
My system is the latest Arch Linux (archlinux-2017.01.01-dual.iso) installed in WMWare Fusion version 8.5.3; the audio system is pulseaudio with the packets:
pulseaudio;
pulseaudio-alsa;
pulseaudio-equalizer;
pavucontrol;
pulseaudio-ctl

the problem is: when I click on the item menu "Sound Settings..." nothing happens, if I use xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin and I click on the menu item "Audio mixer.." pavuvontrol window appears.

Any ideas?
I've search so much over the internet, but no solutions. :-(

Thanks.

Last edited by wuwei (2017-01-30 10:09:51)

#2 2017-01-29 15:56:43

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with "Sound Menu" displayed in indicator plugin

If you look at the source for the indicator-sound application (that is packages via the AUR), specifically in the file "sound-service-dbus.c", you'll see the following function:

/**
show_sound_settings_dialog:
Bring up the gnome volume preferences dialog
**/
static void
show_sound_settings_dialog (DbusmenuMenuitem *mi,
                            gpointer user_data)
{
  GError * error = NULL;
  if (!g_spawn_command_line_async("gnome-volume-control --page=applications", &error) &&
      !g_spawn_command_line_async("gnome-control-center sound", &error) && 
      !g_spawn_command_line_async("xfce4-mixer", &error))
  {
    g_warning("Unable to show dialog: %s", error->message);
    g_error_free(error);
  }
}

Note that pavucontrol is not listed there. To get it to work properly you will need to make some changes to it. In this case, I believe you have two options:

1. Edit the code, replacing xfce4-mixer with pavucontrol, and rebuild it yourself using the ABS.

2. If you really have no use for xfce4-mixer (and you shouldn't if you're using pulseaudio), then simply create a link in /usr/local/bin to the xfce4-mixer that actually points to pavucontrol (as root):

ln -s /usr/bin/pavucontrol /usr/local/bin/xfce4-mixer

...and it should then work.

Keep in mind that xfce4-mixer will now only work if your specify the complete path to the original binary (/usr/bin/xfce4-mixer) and there is a good chance that the Mixer panel plugin will no longer work.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-01-29 16:04:24

wuwei

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with "Sound Menu" displayed in indicator plugin

As Arch wiki page for xfce says: "Xfce4 mixer and Xfce4 volumed are no longer being maintained upstream as they cannot be ported to GStreamer 1.0" they say: "Consider xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin in combination with pavucontrol as an alternative.", so here is the problem...

Cool! Simply creating the symlink it works!!
Really many thanks! :-)

Last edited by wuwei (2017-01-30 10:16:09)

Board footer