The menu items are not translated into the chosen language. Some of the items within the submenus are, but not the categories like "Internet" or "Graphics" or the "File Manager" as seen on the picture.
Does anyone have any clues as to why this is happening and if this is expected behaviour?
I am running Xfce4-Panel version 4.12.1 standalone (outside of Xfce) on Arch Linux.
I got it to work by editing my locales. I had to set my system locale in /etc/locale.conf to the desired language.
It's not a solution for me, because it's a multi-user computer and I would like to override user-specific locales. I do that with a "locale.conf" file in the user's directory and exporting LC_* and LANG variables in my window manager's (Openbox's) environment file.
When I do that, it works only partially as pictured in the screenshot.
I also tried running xfce4-panel with
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 LANGUAGE=de xfce4-panel
and got the same, partial translations.
Last edited by justasug (2017-03-19 17:35:38)
You can use ~/.config/locale.conf for per-user configurations (source).
Note that this may be overridden by your display manager. In my case (xdm) I had to make the change to ~/.dmrc.
thats not an issue with xfce its more an issue with your distribution:
last time i used arch(with OpenRC) i had to edit many files to get a proper german environment, it was so terrible to configure that i saved this here( https://github.com/sixsixfive/misc/tree … ge_135/etc ) if I ever want to go back...
Last edited by sixsixfive (2017-03-19 17:09:38)
$ aptitude why gnome
Unable to find a reason to install gnome.
Figured it out, thanks guys. It was a problem on my end.
My user-specific locale configuration (as pointed out by ToZ) was working normally. The problem was LC_MESSAGES. Turns out xfce4-panel uses the locale of that for the category items and not the value of LANGUAGE or LANG. I didn't pay much attention to it and focused on the latter 2.
My locale apparently doesn't have any translations for LC_MESSAGES, so it fell back to English. That's why only part of it was translated while the rest was in English.
The solution was to either only specify LANG and let everything else get inherited by it or set LC_MESSAGES explicitly (to a locale which has translations though), which I did, because I wanted different locales for different LC_ variables.
Last edited by justasug (2017-03-19 17:37:59)