Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-25 17:23:24

ajz

Xfce4-panel Window Buttons icons missing

Hi,
I'm trying to fix the issue with the Window Buttons icons not showing for some applications. Instead of proper icons presented on the panel there is a default one used when the icon is missing. What's surprising is that the icons are correct in Whisker Menu and notification tray.

Therefore I am wondering where the configuration files for xfce4-panel Window Buttons are stored? Are Window Buttons using .desktop file entries to fetch icons? Apparently, creating/updating .desktop file entries in /usr/share/applications or ~/.local/share/applications works for Whisker Menu, but not Window Buttons.

Thanks for help in advance.

#2 2018-07-25 17:38:58

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Xfce4-panel Window Buttons icons missing

Hello and welcome.

ajz wrote:

I'm trying to fix the issue with the Window Buttons icons not showing for some applications.

Specifically which applications have missing/incorrect icons?

Have a read through this post that describes the situation and offers a couple of workarounds.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-07-25 17:52:11

ajz

Jetbrains Toolbox application and Spotify installed via Flatpak. They share the similarity of both having their desktop entries in ~./local/share/applications.

If I install Spotify from the default repository (spotify-client package), the icon shows properly (desktop entry for this application is in /usr/share/applications then). I thought there would be an easier way to fix this issue than installing additional software like Devil's Pie.

Last edited by ajz (2018-07-25 17:52:46)

#4 2018-07-25 19:08:21

ToZ
Administrator

Devilspie and xseticon are very small programs - the former I find very useful for numerous tasks. The second workaround only requires xseticon.

The other option is to file bug reports with those programs and ask them to follow the EWMH standard and assign proper icons.

For jetbrains-toolbox, you'll need to use devilspie as the script won't work based on how the app gets started. A devilspie config file like this will work:

( if
 ( is ( window_class ) "jetbrains-toolbox" )
  ( begin
   ( spawn_async
   ( str "xseticon -id "
   ( window_xid ) " /home/toz/.icons/jetbrains-toolbox-icon.png" ) )
   ( println "match" )
  )
)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2018-07-25 20:20:16

ajz

Thanks for your insight!

Board footer