Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-22 08:18:20

marko

Add a second panel which lifts the windows (doesn't get covered)

My main panel is situated at the bottom of the screen and when you maximize any window, the window (as expected) maximizes all the way until the bottom part of the window reaches the top of the main panel and the panel does not get covered. So the windows are "lifted / pushed" by the main panel when they get maximized.

I want to add a second panel that does exactly the same thing and would sit right above the main panel on the desktop but the only option I have been able to find is to auto hide the panel. I don't want this, instead I want the windows to maximize all the way until they reach the top of the second panel (which would sit right above my main panel) so the second panel would be lifting the windows.

I have been trying to do this for a while now with the wmctrl command but I have been unable to find an option. I originally looked here: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=9101 and I tried various options but with no success.

Here is some of the commands I tried (nothing worked), the references to "fullscreen" is just to see if the command being run is actually affecting the correct window (which it does). I got the correct window with wmctrl -l

wmctrl -i -r 0x04e00007 -b toggle,sticky
wmctrl -i -r 0x04e00007 -b toggle,hidden
wmctrl -i -r 0x04e00007 -b toggle,fullscreen
wmctrl -i -r 0x00a06ab0 -b toggle,skip_taskbar
wmctrl -i -r 0x00a06ab0 -b toggle,fullscreen
wmctrl -i -r 0x00a0002c -b toggle,below
wmctrl -i -r 0x00a0002c -b toggle,above
wmctrl -i -r 0x00a0002c -b add,above
wmctrl -i -r 0x00a0002c -b add,below
wmctrl -i -r 0x00a0002c -b add,shaded
wmctrl -i -r 0x00a0002c -b toggle,shaded
wmctrl -i -r 0x00a0002c -b add,below
wmctrl -i -r 0x00a0002c -b add,shaded
wmctrl -i -r 0x00a0002c -b toggle,shaded

#2 2018-12-22 10:45:09

peter.48

Re: Add a second panel which lifts the windows (doesn't get covered)

I don't know what your distribution is.I use Fedora XFCE and I do not have any problem like yours.
Simply in the panel configuration window I'm checking the option I want (there are three:
fixed panel, panel that hides behind the windows and always hidden panel) and this works like a charm...
1545475383.png

#3 2018-12-22 20:54:18

marko

Hi Peter, thx for your response, I wouldn't call it a problem, instead a preference. If you leave the second panel at the top without moving it, it does do what I want it to do, when you maximize a window, the window maximizes all the way until it reaches the panel but when you move it to the bottom right above the main panel, it doesn't work like this so I want to have two panels at the bottom that act like a single panel when maximizing windows.

#4 2018-12-22 21:59:26

ToZ
Administrator

@marko, you can set margins at Settings Manager > Workspaces > Margins tab and maximized windows will obey those margins. In other words, set the margin to the width of the two panels and a maximized window won't overlap.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2018-12-23 00:30:21

marko

@ToZ, that did it! Thank you! smile Now I can display all sorts of information via genmod plugin (CPU temp, RAM, CPU speed) when windows are maximized and have it visible all the time without covering the window content or the panel content..

I can also turn the second panel into a Window Buttons list (with text of course - I like text inside the window buttons) and free some space at the first panel for more launchers or the other way around.

Xfce can be very aesthetically appealing when you put the correct settings. So when set up correctly with the right theme, spacing, margins and padding, Xfce is awesome!

Thanks!

Last edited by marko (2018-12-23 00:33:22)

Board footer