Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-30 00:15:00

MountainDewManiac

[CLOSED/SOLVED] CTRL Key (Partially) Stopped Functioning

I do not believe this is due to a package update, as it looks like the developer of my distro is on holiday.

I can still use my CTRL keys for copy and paste functions - therefore the keys have not physically failed. I noticed last night that I was unable to use it when left-clicking on a link (in Firefox) to open the link in a separate tab; instead, nothing happened. Then, just now, I deleted some files in Thunar. Some were together, but there were also two pairs of files that were separated by other files. Therefore, I left-clicked on the first file, held my Shift key while left-clicking on the last file in the group that was together (which worked as you'd expect) - but I was unable to highlight any of the other four files by holding down a CTRL key and left-clicking. Again, it was as if I wasn't doing anything.

To be clear, this behavior is with both CTRL keys.

Recently... That "zoom the screen in an odd manner when I was trying to make the foreground window translucent" annoyance feature became too annoying to bear. I had remembered that there was a thread or two posted about this, so I did some searching and then did... two or three things that I simply cannot remember the specifics of, unfortunately. Now I can place my mouse cursor onto the titlebar of a window, hold down a CTRL key, and adjust the window from fully opaque to almost transparent by "scrolling" up and down with my mousepad. Which is nice - I can work in my web browser or a text editor whilst watching a video that "bleeds through" my foreground window enough that I can see it.

But it isn't worth crippling my system!

Can someone help me troubleshoot this? Seems like I changed a setting or three in two or three different "GUI places" (I do not have any memory of copying and pasting into a terminal window, but since I have only the vaguest of memories of what I actually did do, anything is possible). Must this be an "either or" thing, either have a pair of functioning CTRL keys or be stuck with the goofy zoom the screen instead of zooming the actual content of the window and leave the desktop alone... thing? If so, I'll just give up on being able to adjust my foreground window altogether. But I still want to fix my CTRL keys.

I cannot reinstall my distro. No working optical drive, 25¢ BIOS has no option for booting from USB, and I have way too much data to fit onto my eight gigabyte flash drive anyway. Therefore, that sort of fix is not an option.

Thanks in advance,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2018-12-30 01:15:56)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#2 2018-12-30 00:57:03

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [CLOSED/SOLVED] CTRL Key (Partially) Stopped Functioning

Go to Settings Manager > Window Manager Tweaks > Accessibility and change "Key used to grab...." back to Alt. When setting it to Control it seems to disable it's use elsewhere.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-12-30 01:15:31

MountainDewManiac

Re: [CLOSED/SOLVED] CTRL Key (Partially) Stopped Functioning

Okay, will do. And thank you. I was going to try figuring it out myself tomorrow evening, but have been known to turn a small issue into a bigger and "better" one when trying to fix my own screw-ups.

IT WORKED! I didn't even have to log out and back in. I just did as you instructed, then held down a CTRL key and left-clicked on one of the handy links on this page - and it opened the link in a new tab.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer