Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-30 17:04:04

Skaperen

two date and time readouts

along the top bar i see the date and time twice.  right click on them, one says clock and the other says indicator plugin.  what is indicator plugin and why does it show date and time.  the indicator one also shows seconds.

#2 2018-12-30 17:11:12

ToZ
Administrator

Re: two date and time readouts

Unity uses a number of indicators in it's panel. Xfce has an indicator plugin that will also show these indicators. Ideally, you should uninstall the Unity indicators, but if you are running both DEs, then this won't work.

There are two other options:
1. Go to Xfce's indicator plugin properties and mark "Hidden" these duplicate indicators.
2. Remove Xfce's indicator plugin from the panel.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-12-30 19:28:17

Skaperen

what does the one labeled "indicator" do?  it seems to have more than one thing on the top.  is that bar across the top what you a referring to as a panel?  can i add any plugin back, later, if it was there before?  now that it is afternoon here, i can see that one of them is in 12 hour mode and the other is in 24 hour mode.  is that there are 2 clocks and 2 bluetooths a mistake by the xubuntu team or the xfce4 team?  or do they consider it intended?

#4 2018-12-30 19:37:03

Skaperen

i moved ~/.config/xfce4 away and hid it in another directory and rebooted.  as expected, it went back to initial setup.  is this (or to rm -fr it) a suitable way to reset and start over when changing a user over to xfce4?  i'm ready to switch the remaining users over, but there is a final test, to see if my automated bootup setup still works when i change user "admin" over to xfce.  it does all the setup through sudo as a couple dozen scripts mostly run under sudo.

#5 2018-12-30 19:46:57

Skaperen

how can i get the user name to show on the top, again?  in unity, this was an option in users and groups (and did not require authentication) but that option is not there under xfce.  maybe it is somewhere else.  any idea or alternative?  what is the bar across the top called?

#6 2018-12-30 19:52:57

ToZ
Administrator

Add the Actions plugin to the panel.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#7 2018-12-30 20:48:45

Skaperen

i tried to remove that clock in 12 hour mode but doing so removed a bunch of other things.  i added "indicators" back and they all came back. there did not appear to be a means to remove or config its clock.  i played around moving stuff in it.  some things move OK and some things don't.  apparently there's a lot of little details in XFCE that need fixing so i'll need to find the source and some time.

Board footer