Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-19 06:05:19

Skaperen

Pasting a URL into xfce4-terminal

when i paste a URL or a string similar to a URL such as a host name or domain name, sometimes, but not always, it runs the firefox browser with that  URL, causing firefox windows in other virtual desktops to be moved to the current virtual window, and a new window to be opened to visit that URL.  nothing actually is pasted into the terminal.  after i drag the firefox windows back to their intended virtual desktops and closing the new window, repeating the pasting works normally, inputting the string into the terminal, inputting to whatever i have running in the terminal, which could be a command to save that URL.

it seems that "sometimes" is limited to the first time the terminal window is opened.  but this is not repeatable.  i cannot intentionally reproduce it.  it is still only rarely happening and always when i don't expect it.

is there a reason this happens?  is there a reason it happens only once?  it would seem to me that if this were a real feature, it would do it each time?

is there a way to turn this off so that pasting in a terminal window always inputs the string into what is running in the window, such as a shell or the command the shell is running?  i don't know if this is a buggy feature or just a bug or something i have done wrong.

#2 2019-06-19 07:17:10

PaperNick

Re: Pasting a URL into xfce4-terminal

I think this has been answered before. This behavior is controlled from Settings Manager -> Window Manager Tweaks -> Focus tab -> Switch to window's workspace under the section "When a window raises itself".

I'm not sure about this part:

it seems that "sometimes" is limited to the first time the terminal window is opened

It looks like it might be a bug if behaves different every time.

Edit: I just realized that you're talking about pasting, without actually clicking the link. I'm not sure if my answer is relevant in this case.

Last edited by PaperNick (2019-06-19 07:26:23)

#3 2019-06-19 19:18:37

Skaperen

Re: Pasting a URL into xfce4-terminal

yeah it happens when pasting (clicking the middle button of my 3-button mouse) in the terminal window, no matter where it was highlighted from.

Board footer