Xfce Forum

Sub domains
 

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-10 16:18:07

jakfish
Member
Registered: 2019-12-23
Posts: 10

Arcane GTK3 Theme Query [SOLVED]

Hello, All,

Running Linux Mint 19.3/xfce on a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, I've successfully edited the "Windows-10-Dark-master" theme found here:

https://gamblisfx.com/top-10-best-ubunt … must-have/

to make a pure black background everywhere (#000000).

The only non-black remaining item is a thin gray line that borders Thunar's address box along with any secondary menu box of other applications (i.e. the lists of menu choices in Mouse and Touchpad)

In neither /home/jake/.themes/Windows-10-Dark-master/gtk-2.0 or /home/jake/.themes/Windows-10-Dark-master/gtk-3.0 can I find a *.css change that will make this gray into black.

Any ideas? (I warned you the issue was arcane smile )

Thanks,
Jake

Last edited by jakfish (Yesterday 21:39:18)

Offline

#2 2020-01-10 16:36:59

alcornoqui
Member
Registered: 2014-07-28
Posts: 536

Re: Arcane GTK3 Theme Query [SOLVED]

I didn't find anything in my searches, and my knowledge is minimal (yeah, I'm a real genius), but as an idea, I'd check other dark themes and see if any of them solved it, then copy the solution (genius!).

A recently update example: https://github.com/paullinuxthemer/PRO- … CE-Edition

A lot of dark themes: https://www.xfce-look.org/search/projec … /1/pci/135

Good luck!

Online

#3 2020-01-10 18:41:20

jakfish
Member
Registered: 2019-12-23
Posts: 10

Re: Arcane GTK3 Theme Query [SOLVED]

Many thanks for your post and helpful links. If I could only determine what command called the gray (e.g. @selected_bg_color), but I've experimented by replacing, in every *.css, every known color (except white text) with #000000, and while that obviously created a whole lot of problems, the gray outline remained.

That's the trouble with Linux in general and xfce in particular, you never stop feeling that there's a solution. With Win10, you deadend pretty quickly.

Offline

#4 2020-01-10 19:59:09

Aravisian
Member
Registered: 2019-08-17
Posts: 196

Re: Arcane GTK3 Theme Query [SOLVED]

jakfish wrote:

Many thanks for your post and helpful links. If I could only determine what command called the gray (e.g. @selected_bg_color), but I've experimented by replacing, in every *.css, every known color (except white text) with #000000, and while that obviously created a whole lot of problems, the gray outline remained.

That's the trouble with Linux in general and xfce in particular, you never stop feeling that there's a solution. With Win10, you deadend pretty quickly.

From your OP, it sounds like you are talking about either a button border or a combo box. If you could post a screenshot specifying the areas in question, can probably help you I.D. in the gtk3 .css
EDIT: Just to point out, Yes, there IS a solution and I am confident we can find it pretty quick.

Last edited by Aravisian (2020-01-10 20:25:22)

Offline

#5 2020-01-10 20:36:35

jakfish
Member
Registered: 2019-12-23
Posts: 10

Re: Arcane GTK3 Theme Query [SOLVED]

Thank you, folks, once more, for stepping in.

https://imgur.com/a/jxcLCTx

The first image captures the issue best--one can see the faint gray window frames around "PixArt USB Optical Mouse" etc.

The second image of Thunar is the one I'm working on--the same gray window frame around Thunar's address bar. Unfortunately, the screeny isn't as clear.

I'm hoping for a uniform #000000 background from the top of the panel on down.

Thanks again for people's help,
Jake

Last edited by jakfish (2020-01-10 20:38:35)

Offline

#6 2020-01-10 20:57:11

Aravisian
Member
Registered: 2019-08-17
Posts: 196

Re: Arcane GTK3 Theme Query [SOLVED]

jakfish wrote:

Thank you, folks, once more, for stepping in.

https://imgur.com/a/jxcLCTx

The first image captures the issue best--one can see the faint gray window frames around "PixArt USB Optical Mouse" etc.

The second image of Thunar is the one I'm working on--the same gray window frame around Thunar's address bar. Unfortunately, the screeny isn't as clear.

I'm hoping for a uniform #000000 background from the top of the panel on down.

Thanks again for people's help,
Jake

You had it at Window Frames;) that is the I.D.
The other is Button Border.
I removed those on my copy of Azenis Theme because they cut into my custom made whiskermenu set up.
I downloaded the theme you are using and have the files. If you could give me a bit of time to look through them, i should be able to find what you need.

Last edited by Aravisian (2020-01-10 20:57:32)

Offline

#7 2020-01-10 21:08:35

jakfish
Member
Registered: 2019-12-23
Posts: 10

Re: Arcane GTK3 Theme Query [SOLVED]

Wow, that's amazingly generous. Would it help if I mailed you my Windows-10-Dark-master from .themes? I have considerably hacked it, at least by replacing a lot of gray shades with #000000 in both gtk3 files and also the metacities (if I'm not mistaken).

Or perhaps you're well on your way with the search as it is.

Again, all my thanks,
Jake

Offline

#8 2020-01-10 21:09:38

Aravisian
Member
Registered: 2019-08-17
Posts: 196

Re: Arcane GTK3 Theme Query [SOLVED]

jakfish wrote:

Wow, that's amazingly generous. Would it help if I mailed you my Windows-10-Dark-master from .themes? I have considerably hacked it, at least by replacing a lot of gray shades with #000000 in both gtk3 files and also the metacities (if I'm not mistaken).

Or perhaps you're well on your way with the search as it is.

Again, all my thanks,
Jake

Sure, then I can just send it back to you.
I will shoot you a PM.

Offline

#9 2020-01-10 21:31:10

jakfish
Member
Registered: 2019-12-23
Posts: 10

Re: Arcane GTK3 Theme Query [SOLVED]

Just sent it to you.

Jake

Offline

#10 2020-01-10 22:44:18

Aravisian
Member
Registered: 2019-08-17
Posts: 196

Re: Arcane GTK3 Theme Query [SOLVED]

Received and posting results for others who may wish to know:
In .css, you can use insets with opacity to change the appearance of a background color, rather than using a background image. This was what was creating the gray lines observed by the O.P. Changing a border width to 0px or inset opacity to 1.0 caused it to become the same color as the background that he was looking for.

Offline

#11 2020-01-11 01:15:54

alcornoqui
Member
Registered: 2014-07-28
Posts: 536

Re: Arcane GTK3 Theme Query [SOLVED]

Thank you Aravisian!

Online

#12 Yesterday 21:47:33

jakfish
Member
Registered: 2019-12-23
Posts: 10

Re: Arcane GTK3 Theme Query [SOLVED]

Just a follow-up note to mark this thread solved. Aravisian went well beyond any forum duty and both edited my theme and instructed me how to finish the job and his assistance solved the post-ed issue. Changing a border width to 0px is indeed the key, and all that's needed is patience and a steady-one-at-time search-and-replace within the /home/user/.themes/Windows-10-Dark-master/gtk-3.20/gtk.css file.

I've gotten a lot of help in Linux forums and tried to give back where I could, but this forum is particularly, if not monumentally, effective.

Offline

#13 Today 02:58:09

Aravisian
Member
Registered: 2019-08-17
Posts: 196

Re: Arcane GTK3 Theme Query [SOLVED]

jakfish wrote:

Just a follow-up note to mark this thread solved. Aravisian went well beyond any forum duty and both edited my theme and instructed me how to finish the job and his assistance solved the post-ed issue. Changing a border width to 0px is indeed the key, and all that's needed is patience and a steady-one-at-time search-and-replace within the /home/user/.themes/Windows-10-Dark-master/gtk-3.20/gtk.css file.

I've gotten a lot of help in Linux forums and tried to give back where I could, but this forum is particularly, if not monumentally, effective.

You'll find many active members on here that really step up.
Once, over a decade ago... A large group of us from a Science forum all got together at the Iron Cactus in Austin, TX.  It was pretty nifty to be able to buy a helpful member a drink.

Even if I did not use XFCE desktop, I would want to use this forum. I have seen little, if any, of the arrogance you see on some on this one. Or the rudeness you see on many.

Last edited by Aravisian (Today 02:58:39)

Offline

#14 Today 14:04:55

jakfish
Member
Registered: 2019-12-23
Posts: 10

Re: Arcane GTK3 Theme Query [SOLVED]

I think ToZ and the other moderators do help set the tone. They're unruffled, always polite to whomever posts.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB