Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-20 03:04:50

Bill53

Motherboard RAID support (aka fake RAID)

This machine is a dual use and the 4 drive striped RAID was set up in Windows 7 many years ago. 

When I booted into the Xubuntu demo version of 18.04.4 to my biggest surprise, the RAID came up. Beautiful icon, all worked. I was the happiest chap around, finally a software I don't have fight, don't have to struggle with.

After installing and updating it, the RAID is gone.
No, nothing is wrong with the RAID, it is still there booting from the USB stick in demo mode, all works.

Does anybody know what happened?
What can cause this?

Thanks.

#2 2020-04-20 10:45:01

alcornoqui

Re: Motherboard RAID support (aka fake RAID)

Does this help? Seems like the answer from user pigdog could be a possible path to a solution.

I know nothing of RAID etc myself, just made a couple searches and had a hunch wink

Good luck!

#3 2020-04-21 11:17:04

Bill53

The main issue here is this:
"FakeRAID is not supported by Ubuntu. Doing this could ultimately result in loss of all data."
Source :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount … es%20Howto

The term 'fake raid' is a derogatory term. Invented and propagated by *nix mor-ons.
This HW is included in millions of motherboards, it is used successfully by millions for decades.
See MB X11DPX-T from  Supermicro: Intel® C621 controller for 10 SATA3 (6 Gbps) ports; RAID 0,1,5,10

Regarding the usefulness of this HW:
I paid for our home, the childrens' private education, travelling, several 4x4 (we always had 2 of these) 30 foot pleasure boat and so on out of editing videos for some 30 years. For the last 10+ years i was editing on HP workstations using THE FAKE RAID.  All HD 1920 footage, 10+ layers. IE: high datarate. NEVER had any issues with the RAID. EVER.
The *nix 'gurus'' theory and arguments do not stand up in the real world.

The unspoken contract of open source model works like this:
- you develop the software
- the community does the testing

Benefits:
- you save some 50% of the development cost
- you collect the community's wisdom on what features would be nice to include - for free
- the community receives a WORKING software - for 'free'

By removing the support for this piece of hardware YOU BROKE THAT CONTRACT.
Thus I am not interested in further support of *nix.
And so do the other 98% of users.
I just looked up *nix desktop market share is 1.78%
It is because of their philosophy regarding the desktop support - including this particular issue.

I rather put up with and pay for Windows than accept this id-iotic and ty-rannic philosophy.
Good by, this software will be in the bin in the next five minutes.

Thanks for the few, good hearted people here who tried to help.

#4 2020-04-21 11:45:51

alcornoqui

Bill53 wrote:

The main issue here is this:
"FakeRAID is not supported by Ubuntu. Doing this could ultimately result in loss of all data."
Source :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount … es%20Howto

But that is just a disclaimer, isn't it? The whole page is composed of the instructions on how to do it properly. It's just "unsupported". But you're not using Canonical's support anyway, so you could just configure it to your liking and keep using it, I guess (I might very well be wrong, I know).

Well, good luck anyway!

#5 2020-04-21 11:50:11

ToZ
Administrator

A few observations:

1. Ubuntu does not equal Linux - there many other linux distros and approaches. A google search for "Linux Fakeraid" brings up many pages with instructions on installing on or accessing a fakeraid partition. The issue that you are seeing between the live CD and installed version most likely boils down to a "driver not installed" issue.

2. This is a distro issue, not an Xfce issue. Xfce is a desktop environment that sits upon an operating system (in this case Linux). The issue that you are having is an operating system issue not an Xfce issue. You would be best suited asking this question at the forums of the distro that you choose or a more generic Linux forum that tailor to these types of questions.

3. Linux requires an investment of effort to search out and understand. There is nothing wrong with using Windows - it is a very capable operating system. If it best suits your needs then by all means, make use of it.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer