Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-26 03:02:19

fulalas

[SOLVED] Root instance of Appearance doesn't seem to work

Edit: Solved! This is not a xfce issue, but a misunderstanding of mine of how users work on Linux.

I noticed this in a small distro and found it very odd, so I tried Xubuntu 20.04 and it turns out that it behaves the same way. Here's the step by step:

1- boot as non-root user
2- open xfce4-terminal
3- sudo su
4- xfce4-appearance-settings
5- change some font settings, like DPI, size, AA, hinting, etc

Notice that this dialog (that is running as root) won't change its appearance, the opposite behavior when running as non-root user. You can try to close it and in the same terminal instance (still under root user) call thunar. You'll notice that the new font settings are still not applied.

I also noticed that if I open xfce4-appearance-settings as non-root and put it side by side to a root instance of it, some settings that I change in non-root instance will affect the root instance instantaneously.

Am I missing something?

P.S.: I would really appreciate if people don't deviate from the main subject, like saying that I should not run anything as root, because blahblahblah; that's not the point! Thanks!

Last edited by fulalas (2020-04-26 04:27:04)

#2 2020-04-26 03:16:12

CwF

Re: [SOLVED] Root instance of Appearance doesn't seem to work

fulalas wrote:

3- sudo su

Why?

fulalas wrote:

Am I missing something?

yes

fulalas wrote:

P.S.: blahblahblah; that's not the point! Thanks!

it is the point...root has its own settings, unless you insist editing bob's desktop from Joe's terminal, fine.

#3 2020-04-26 03:20:03

MountainDewManiac

fulalas wrote:

I noticed this in a small distro and found it very odd, so I tried Xubuntu 20.04 and it turns out that it behaves the same way. Here's the step by step:

1- boot as non-root user
2- open xfce4-terminal
3- sudo su
4- xfce4-appearance-settings
5- change some font settings, like DPI, size, AA, hinting, etc

Notice that this dialog (that is running as root) won't change its appearance, the opposite behavior when running as non-root user.

I'm no expert (about as far from one as fire is from ice), but I imagine that's because:

fulalas wrote:

1- boot as non-root user

After you finish screwing around, log out and then log in as root. Do you see the changes you made? Yes? Things are probably functioning as designed. No? Then, there might be an issue, lol.

EDIT: Open an instance of Thunar. Notice, on the left side-pane, that the directory {current user} appears under "Places." Now right-click somewhere on the white space and choose "Open as Root." Enter root's password and now notice that {current user}'s home directory has been replaced with... root's.

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2020-04-26 03:23:42)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2020-04-26 04:25:05

fulalas

I see. So...

sudo su -> change appearance = will change appearance for root user, but since I'm running X as guest, I won't see any change, and the only way to see these changes is to logout and run X as root.

Thanks! smile

Board footer