Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-02 10:14:21

Xena

Question from a newbie

Hi everyone,
I'm an Italian linux user who always used it for very basic purposes and that always changed distros only when not supported anymore, I'm not the type that loves change for the sake of trying something new. I hope this post is in the right forum section.
I crave a desktop appearance that is similar to old windows, and have some eyesight problems that make my eyes sore when there are too many movements, flashes, transparencies or small fonts/icons etc.
I've always stuck with old KDE (the last I have is 4.13.2 on Mint) tailored precisely as I need it to be for my eyes, but now I see that every new KDE distro has plasma (which I dislike with a vengeance) so I'm looking into XFCE with extreme interest because my present distro is reaching unsupported status.
So far, distro-wise I'm manjaro-oriented, but considering only the desktop appearance I'm leaning towards Fedora. That's because the start menu and windows I desire look precisely like this one
https://spins.fedoraproject.org/static/ … t-xfce.jpg
extremely polished, essential, just name and icon and no other frills. Love it! However, I see that there's a huge difference between Fedora's xfce and Manjaro's, even choosing the same theme in both (i tried both live's). On Mint it's even worse.
So, forgive me if the questions are dumb, but
1) how do I recreate THAT exact Fedora's xfce menu looks on other distros? Is it even possible? I couldn't find any setting for that.
2) How come when I change theme on Fedora and then revert back to the default one, the menu doesn't go back exactly to the original one but looks slightly (to me enormously) different?
3) if I keep my present home partition with the new distro, will xfce automatically recognize my preferred settings for fonts, screen resolution etc. or will I have to re-tune everything? (previously, from KDE to KDE it kept my old stuff)
Thanks and apologies if it's dumb stuff...

#2 2020-05-02 12:07:09

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Question from a newbie

Xena wrote:

1) how do I recreate THAT exact Fedora's xfce menu looks on other distros? Is it even possible? I couldn't find any setting for that.

In that image, the "Applications Menu" plugin is being used instead of the default "Whiskermenu plugin" that Manjaro uses. Right-click the panel and select Panel > Add New Items and add the Applications Menu. Right click > Move to move it around and Right Click > Remove to remove the whiskermenu. The fedora menu is also somewhat customized from the default (add an "Administration" submenu and removes a couple of entries).

2) How come when I change theme on Fedora and then revert back to the default one, the menu doesn't go back exactly to the original one but looks slightly (to me enormously) different?

Without some more information, possibly screenshots, it is difficult to comment on this. Can you identify exactly what is different?

3) if I keep my present home partition with the new distro, will xfce automatically recognize my preferred settings for fonts, screen resolution etc. or will I have to re-tune everything? (previously, from KDE to KDE it kept my old stuff)
Thanks and apologies if it's dumb stuff...

Probably not. KDE and Xfce use different toolkits and different settings managers. While there may be some consistency, you'll probably need to re-setup the configurations to suit. It will recognize your home directory and the files located there.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer