Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-07-14 00:14:02

emmemm11

"Standard" fonts for XFCE, guaranteed to exist?

I deploy/upgrade XCFE systems frequently and have developed some scripts to get the settings the way I like and not have to visit all of the settings menus.

I need to set a font and size for xfce4-terminal in ~/.config/xfce4/terminal/terminalrc. I find at least three different but similar monospace sans-serif fonts among Mint, Xubuntu and MX: Dejavu Sans Mono, Liberation Mono, and Monospace. I need one that is guaranteed to exist on any Xfce system out there.

Any ideas/opinions on what a good choice would be? And why so many similar fonts?

Is there a way to (in Python) programatically determine whether a particular font exists?

Thanks

#2 2023-07-15 10:47:50

ka_

Re: "Standard" fonts for XFCE, guaranteed to exist?

emmemm11 wrote:

....Mint, Xubuntu and MX: Dejavu Sans Mono, Liberation Mono, and Monospace. I need one that is guaranteed to exist on any Xfce system out there.

The default that will be on most System is "Monospace", but I think it depends on the system and what are you installing or deploy.
If you are installing/deploy the systems by an Image from your self, then make sure that you will install one font that you self know that is exists after installation.

emmemm11 wrote:

Any ideas/opinions on what a good choice would be? And why so many similar fonts?

I think "Monospace" is fine.

emmemm11 wrote:

Is there a way to (in Python) programatically determine whether a particular font exists?

I think you can create a Python function that will save the result of the commandline "fc-list" in an array/list, and then you can check if the font is in there, but that is only my first idea to solve it.
Something like that:

import subprocess
output_fc_list = subprocess.Popen(['fc-list ', .......

Hope that helps a little bit smile

Last edited by ka_ (2023-07-15 10:50:28)

OS: Tumbleweed - Desktop : XFCE - PC: Lenovo e14 - AMD-Ryzen 5500U - Vega7 - 16GB Ram

Board footer