Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-16 08:42:53

donny

How i got to Xfce

Hey im Donny, about 30 yo.

I am kinda addicted to watching for cheap prices for good tech. So one day i saw this notebook, geobook 140 with 4gb ram and N4020 cpu and no fan for 100€.. and if you read some reviews people are like:

"thats techtrash", "notebooks under 300€ are trash", "no ips panel", "lags after some chrome tabs", "lifetime of 2 weeks", "can it run crysis?", "it flies away after one round pinball", "not for educational purposes, believe me", "for real dont buy it thats a waste, better go for refurbished 300€".. and much more funny stuff.

Well so i bought it.

Surprisingly it worked pretty well on win11, i bet most of the casual office users would be happy with it. But i knew, like every linux user, there is better way to use this hardware. So i got linux.

I am a pretty beginner linux user, i tryed linux here and there but most of the time i used windows.
Times fly, windows get heavier, hardware cost rises.
So i tryed an ubuntu os at first, linux light. I liked it but i couldnt get the sound to work.

Times passed, i had time to read about the concept of Debian, which i could identify myself with - especially Xfce.
I thought if i couldnt get my sound work with it, it must be doomed. So i got Xfce.

First several days i couldnt even get a program, all the ubuntu codes i learned didnt worked.
But then after first steps it worked out pretty well and i got my sound to work pretty fast.
Now im using it since 2 weeks and couldnt be more satisfied with my tech.
Its fun to tweak details and research solutions for issues because it gets myself better understanding of my tech and the system.

Now ive got a system with low tech which is more stable and faster then others with twice as good systems with heat problems on our beloved windows.
May be linux is not for everyone but its definitely have its nieche.

I have spoken.

#2 2023-08-16 09:39:29

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How i got to Xfce

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-08-17 06:38:18

pdelboca
Website

Hello and Welcome!

Similar to my story!

When I was a teenager I only had access to low budget notebook and, in pursue of simplicity and efficiency, I ended up installing xfce.

Being able to have a good experience in laptops that otherwise will freeze and be slow in Windows gave me a sense of relief and empowerment!

#4 2023-11-05 19:31:03

hobs0n

Nice intro from you! Welcome!

I like to play with my daughter and her friends, spank pandas and climb in trees

Macbook Pro 2012, Intel crap, 8GB RAM, Manjaro and XFCE

Board footer