Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-24 10:08:02

CuriousQuestionAsker

[SOLVED] Cannot remove applications from certain categories

I am organizing my whisker menu and I want to avoid applications belonging in multiple categories. However, two applications refuse to cooperate: Bulk Rename and Thunar. I tried to remove both from Accessories-category, meaning they should only be visible in System-category, and still they persist to linger in the former. Is there a reason why these behave differently compared to other applications, with which no issues were present, and how can I alter this behavior? The specific category placement is somewhat irrelevant, they could be in either; I just dislike to have them in multiple categories.

Last edited by CuriousQuestionAsker (2023-08-25 03:00:14)

#2 2023-08-24 18:09:33

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot remove applications from certain categories

CuriousQuestionAsker wrote:

I tried to remove both from Accessories-category,

How did you do this? Did you use any specific tool?

they should only be visible in System-category,

The xfce-documented manual way to do this is to:

• copy the thunar.desktop and thunar-bulk-rename.desktop files fro, /usr/share/applications to ~/.local/share/applications (create the folder if it doesn't exist)

• edit both .desktop files and change the Categories line in each to read:

Categories=System;

It's possible that if you've used another tool like alacarte or menu-libre, they may have created some inconsistency that would need to get cleaned up.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-08-25 02:58:53

CuriousQuestionAsker

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot remove applications from certain categories

I used MenuLibre to add/edit/remove categories.

I assumed removing only the Accessories-category would work, but I needed to remove those other ones as well, leaving only System. This process worked via MenuLibre as well without needing to touch the files manually, so I presume everything is working correctly.

Thank you for the help, your posts are always very helpful.

Board footer