Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-08 14:43:05

mrzediz

screen stuck when blackened

hi, i have a 5.4.192-pclos1 x86_64, xfce 4.18, gpu llvmpipe (LLVM 14.0.6 128 bits) Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics. the thing is that when i change brightness either by the plugin in the panel or the function keys, when i reach a very low level of brightness screen is blackened and stuck thus. a least quantity of light in the screen permits me, with the help of a flashlight, to, almost blindly, shut down the computer, but nothing else. why this is? how it is righted?

#2 2023-09-08 17:11:01

ToZ
Administrator

Re: screen stuck when blackened

Hello and welcome.

You can set a minimum brightness value using a hidden setting. See: https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-power- … references.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-09-09 09:17:53

mrzediz

two properties: brightness-switch and brightness-switch-restore-on-exit are set to 0; what they do? how i change them?

i also knew that in /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/, that handles the brightness, there are two: actual_brightness and brightness; actual_brightness is less than brightness: i thought this may cause the fault and i changed brightness to match actual_brightness (as i couldn't change it the other way) but when i changed again with the Fn keys the numbers separated again; the more the change the more the distance between them

also, i would want that the brightness stood when i shut down the computer and boot it again; now it's set at maximum in every start

Last edited by mrzediz (2023-09-09 09:42:56)

#4 2023-09-09 15:31:46

ToZ
Administrator

mrzediz wrote:

two properties: brightness-switch and brightness-switch-restore-on-exit are set to 0; what they do? how i change them?

See this commit and this commit for more information on what these properties do. I don't believe their meant to be changed manually, but if you want to test:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -p /xfce4-power-manager/brightness-switch-restore-on-exit -s VALUE

i also knew that in /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/, that handles the brightness, there are two: actual_brightness and brightness; actual_brightness is less than brightness: i thought this may cause the fault and i changed brightness to match actual_brightness (as i couldn't change it the other way) but when i changed again with the Fn keys the numbers separated again; the more the change the more the distance between them

This is more of a kernel/video driver issue. You should follow up with your distro's support channels to troubleshoot this.

also, i would want that the brightness stood when i shut down the computer and boot it again; now it's set at maximum in every start

Each distro may have a way of doing this. For example, Arch suggests the following method.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer