Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-14 01:02:57

Alcamtar

Where is the setting to change the title bar color?

The question is really in the title: how do I customize the title bar color?

Usually there is an app with a color picker that lets one experiment to find something that works. It's weird, the only customizable color I can find on the entire desktop is the background color, and that's only useful if you're not using a wallpaper.

In the Qt5 panel under Appearance you can choose a palette, but all the palettes are identical except for an occasional shade-of-gray variation that is so subtle you have to switch back and forth to even be able to see it.

#2 2023-09-14 09:25:03

gogogadget

Re: Where is the setting to change the title bar color?

Alcamtar wrote:

Xfce doesn't work like this, you can change the window theme in the window manager settings and the desktop theme in the appearance settings.

You can install more gtk and xfwm4 themes through the package manager of your distribution or manually from sites such as https://www.xfce-look.org/browse/ .

Xfce+gtk3-classic (no CSD)+Picom

#3 2023-09-17 17:07:40

michael-hi

Re: Where is the setting to change the title bar color?

Alcamtar wrote:

Some Window Manager themes have a fixed colour (which may well be grey!) but others are made so that they change their titlebar colour in line with the selected Gtk (Appearance) theme. If you look at the very limited selection of window themes in a standard Xfce install, you will find that Daloa, Kokodi and Moheli are changeable in this way. This is handy if you have a distro like Linux Mint or Zorin Lite which provides lots of different colour variations in its Appearance settings. It means you can simply set the Window Manager theme to be Daloa, Kokodi or Moheli and then change the titlebar colour by switching to a different Mint or Zorin colour variant in the Style tab of the Appearance settings.

Otherwise, another good way of changing the titlebar colour is to add the following CSS code to a file in your home folder at
~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css (make sure your file manager is set to show hidden files and create the said text file if it does not already exist):

/* Set titlebar color (certain window themes only) */
.gtkstyle-fallback:selected {
    background-color: #3fc763;
}

You may then need to logout and back in (not sure). Change the six-character hex code of the colour to be the shade you want. It must be preceded by # or alternatively just state a plain colour eg pink without the #. Either way, don't forget the semi-colon! Again though, this method only works with those window themes which are colour-changeable.

Personally I would install a different window theme as gogogadget suggests. The one I usually favour is OneColor XFCE from gnome-look.org which will give you a range of different specified colours - or if you select the plain version in your Window Manager settings then you can change its colour precisely by using one of the methods above.

I hope this makes sense. It would indeed be nice if Xfce (or Xfce distros) could provide an updated range of window themes with a plain and sensible default and a colour picker to adjust.

Board footer