Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-10-06 09:20:34

Mousepad - Erroneous "The document has been externally modified."

Whenever I use Mousepad to edit and then save a file on a mounted network share, it incorrectly gives me this popup.
D1EfXzW.png
The file has not been externally modified. Is there some way to permanently suppress this warning popup?

#2 2023-10-06 09:44:35

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Mousepad - Erroneous "The document has been externally modified."

Hello and welcome.

Depending on the version of mousepad you are using, you can disable all file monitoring at Edit > Preferences > File. Or alternatively enable automatic reloading there as well to bypass this dialog.

But its odd that the file is being seen as "changed" if it hasn't. What kind of network share and how is it mounted?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-10-06 13:27:38

Tamaranch

Yes, unfortunately this can happen if access to the storage medium is too slow. This is an internal problem with GLib's file monitoring, and it's not possible to fix it completely, as far as I know.

There is a hidden setting to adjust the time (in milliseconds) during which file monitoring is disabled after saving (among other things), but I don't recommend touching it:

gsettings get org.xfce.mousepad.preferences.file monitor-disabling-timer

It's probably better to enable automatic reloading or disable file monitoring as ToZ advises.

#4 2023-10-13 04:38:04

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

Depending on the version of mousepad you are using, you can disable all file monitoring at Edit > Preferences > File. Or alternatively enable automatic reloading there as well to bypass this dialog.

But its odd that the file is being seen as "changed" if it hasn't. What kind of network share and how is it mounted?

I'm using Mousepad version 0.6.1. I've tried both disabling the "File monitoring" option as well as enabling the "Automatic reloading" option, but neither of them seem to have any effect. The same message keeps appearing.

The file is a text file saved on an NTFS file system on a SATA SSD in a Windows 10 Enterprise machine. The 2 computers are on the same home network, both of them connected with Ethernet cables to a router.

I mounted the share with this command:

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=myusername,password=mypassword,rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,X-mount.mkdir=0777 "//192.168.0.243/share" /home/myusername/Desktop/share
Tamaranch wrote:

Yes, unfortunately this can happen if access to the storage medium is too slow.

It's loading from an SSD over a wired home network, so hopefully it shouldn't be that slow. But is there some kind of option or configuration that might be preventing it from reading from the network fast enough or something?

Last edited by avatarcord (2023-10-13 04:41:52)

#5 2023-10-13 07:31:46

Tamaranch

I'm using Mousepad version 0.6.1. I've tried both disabling the "File monitoring" option as well as enabling the "Automatic reloading" option, but neither of them seem to have any effect. The same message keeps appearing.

This is not normal, disabling file monitoring should fix the problem. For some reason, deactivation doesn't work properly. Is something displayed if you run mousepad in a terminal and try to enable/disable the option?

But is there some kind of option or configuration that might be preventing it from reading from the network fast enough or something?

Not that I'm aware of, but when it comes to networks I'm not the best informed, especially as its management in this case is internal to glib.

#6 2023-10-13 09:54:43

ToZ
Administrator

Have a look at https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … amba-files and https://askubuntu.com/questions/268121/ … ifications for similar complaints/issues. It appears that windows maybe doing something to the file thats making cifs recognize it as a changed file. Both posts suggest using the "actimeo=0" option in your mount command. Might be worth a try to see if it helps.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer