Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-10-07 03:29:35

ineuw

[SOLVED] How to install xfce4-notes in Kubuntu

Installed the app from the repository, but it has no menu entry and I must start it from the terminal.  It also has no taskbar icon.

Then, xfce4-notes.css and .rc are attributed against changes, but the app fails to load because of the attribution with the following message

** (xfce4-notes:2060): WARNING **: 23:08:32.024: theme-gtkcss.vala:34: Unable to update CSS file: Failed to rename file “/home/ineuw/.config/xfce4/xfce4-notes.css.WA2EC2” to “/home/ineuw/.config/xfce4/xfce4-notes.css”: g_rename() failed: Operation not permitted.

Last edited by ineuw (2023-10-15 10:20:39)

Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3

#2 2023-10-07 11:23:54

eriefisher

Re: [SOLVED] How to install xfce4-notes in Kubuntu

xfce4-notes is a panel plugin. You don't start it, you just add it to the panel through the settings after it's installed. From the panel you can access it.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#3 2023-10-07 11:50:49

ineuw

Thanks to alerting me to plugins. I will post back either way, because I am new to Kubuntu,

Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3

#4 2023-10-10 11:33:35

ineuw

eriefisher wrote:

xfce4-notes is a panel plugin. You don't start it, you just add it to the panel through the settings after it's installed. From the panel you can access it.

@eriefisher, even though we wash our hands with the same water, your knowledge did not reach my tap . Have you used Kubuntu? or can direct me to the info necessary to use it in Kubuntu?

Both the app and the xfce4-notes-plugin are installed.  When activated from the install page, the app appears on the panel as it should, and I click to open to use the notes. When closing any note, the app disappears as well. Also, I found no reference to any panel plugins in Kubuntu or Ubuntu.

Here is the image of the installed app and its activation control at imagesharing.com.
https://imagesharing.com//photo.php?s=c80yob4u

Last edited by ineuw (2023-10-10 11:34:27)

Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3

#5 2023-10-10 15:50:44

mint4all

Greetings to y'all!

Its been years since i `played` with kubuntu, and after using xfce for years, i must say that kubuntu does things a bit different. Afaict, the xfce4-notes comes in 2 parts: the stand-alone app, which you're using/launching (like any other gui-app) and its companion panel-plugin. I doubt that the panel-plugin will work in kubuntu's panel, i just don't know ...

But the following suggestion might help you, at least with your menu entry: the reason why the (stand alone) -notes app doesn't show in the menu lies in the fact that KDE is not listed among the app's supperted gui-DEs. You can change that by finding the `xfce4-notes.desktop` file and editing that file's `OnlyShowIn=` setting (line #117 on my version) and adding `;KDE` to the end of that line. Instead of updating the system's copy (which could be replaced by any future updates) i would save it in `~/.local/share/applications.  The app's `permissions` for its .rc and .css files seem to have you locked out, so they will have to be updated to allow your userid read+write access. Normally these files reside in `~/.config/xfce4.

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#6 2023-10-10 16:24:11

eriefisher

I haven't used any form of *buntu in many years. I found it way too frustrating and buggy.

If you confirmed that you have both the plugin and the app installed you can right click on the panel and select Panel>>Add New Item. In the window that pops up type "notes" into the search bar. Select it and click "Add" on the bottom. You can right click on the panel icon anytime and move it if you choose. From the icon you can just open Notes or right click on it for a menu. It's not something I use so I don't know the extent of it.

Good luck

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#7 2023-10-11 11:30:28

ineuw

@mint4all and @eriefisher, thanks for the help. I am also a Linux Mint Cinnamon user mainly and the Notes from Linux Mint are shared through Google Drive. That is why I needed it working.

The first installation did not include "KDE", and the desktop files were not working at all.

Earlier tonight, there were dozens of updates, and I did something which I often do lately, purge and reinstall, or just reinstall. The new installation corrected most of the issues. Both system and user .desktop files are working, but it's not in the menus. Kubuntu/KDE has it's own way of doing things.

Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3

#8 2023-10-15 10:50:29

ineuw

Blessed are the developers who scan posts and correct issues. Since this and my other posts, I lost count of the frequency of updates. Now, xfce4-notes installs itself in Autostart as it should, and the panel icons display properly - as I am familiar with them From Linux Mint.

Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3

Board footer