Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-10-30 01:21:33

VolumetricSteve

Displaying Full file names on the 4.18 desktop [SOLVED]

Just what the title says.  I found a lot of posts suggesting I edit a gtk2 file in my home directory, but I don't have that file, and those posts were over ten years old.  I saw another thing to try where I could add a hidden setting to xfce settings, and that didn't seem to do anything.

I'm not sure where else to go or what else to try.  What am I missing?

Last edited by VolumetricSteve (2023-10-30 18:40:58)

#2 2023-10-30 01:46:52

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Displaying Full file names on the 4.18 desktop [SOLVED]

Hello and welcome.

Xfce 4.18 is gtk3 now so you need to add any css tweaks to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css (create the file if it doesn't exist). Specific to your request, you would add the following to that file:

XfdesktopIconView.view { -XfdesktopIconView-ellipsize-icon-labels: 0; }

More info and settings in this post.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-10-30 16:38:20

VolumetricSteve

Re: Displaying Full file names on the 4.18 desktop [SOLVED]

Okay, thank you!  that did it, but now I have a new problem where the horizontal real estate for the letter is only about 6 or 7 characters wide, so it's cutting words in half and splaying them over multiple lines.  Do you know how I fix the amount of space it give the words in the names horizontally?

Edit:

I see this...

XfdesktopIconView.view {
  -XfdesktopIconView-ellipsize-icon-labels: 1;
  -XfdesktopIconView-tooltip-size: 32;
  -XfdesktopIconView-cell-spacing: 4;
  -XfdesktopIconView-cell-padding: 12;
  -XfdesktopIconView-cell-text-width-proportion: 3.8;   //this line sounds like it might be what I want, but I'm not sure...
  background: transparent;
  color: #fcfcfc;
  border-radius: 3px; }

It looks like XfdesktopIconView.view is the thing that receives attribute '-XfdesktopIconView-cell-text-width-proportion', but if that's the only thing I want to change (assuming that even modifies the width of displayed file names on the desktop in the first place)  do I need to include all of the attributes as well?  I'm trying not to change more than I absolutely have to.

Edit Edit:

Everything looks good now, whatever default settings are in that snippit seem to have fixed everything!  File/Folder names are human legible now!  Thank you!

Last edited by VolumetricSteve (2023-10-30 18:40:37)

Board footer