Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-10 21:38:47

kozak243

Thunar behavior with GVfs and admin protocol: password prompt issue

Hey everyone!
I'm facing an issue with GVfs and the 'admin' protocol in Thunar. I'm currently using Arco Linux with polkit 123-1, gvfs 1.52.1-1, and thunar 4.18.8.1.
Here's what's happening: whenever I type 'admin:' in Thunar, it immediately asks for a password, even before I enter a path or press enter. I would prefer the password prompt to appear only when I finish typing the path (at least 'admin:///') or when I press enter. Is there a way to configure it this way?
However, my main concern is that not providing the password first makes any changes to the path a major inconvenience. I have to dismiss two boxes every single time I make any change. It would be much more convenient if the password prompt appeared only when I actually try to go to the provided path. For example, if I want to share a screenshot with a friend, including the typed-in path with used admin protocol, I have to input my password, which is imho not ideal from a safety/security perspective and also mildly annoying. I've tried fiddling with the settings, but I can't seem to find anything that changes this behavior.
I'm really curious to understand why Thunar behaves this way. Is there something wrong with my setup, or is it just a GVfs issue? Could Thunar be causing this problem?
I recently received a helpful response on the GNOME forum from Florian Müllner, who suggested that Thunar might be trying to open the partially entered location to get completion entries, triggering polkit authentication for any admin: URL. This seems like a very plausible explanation.
I also checked if the behavior appears in Debian and in my VM it did the exact same thing. I'm not sure if this is a bug or what. Can anyone shed some light on this? If anyone has experienced a similar issue or knows why Thunar behaves this way and how to change it, I would greatly appreciate your input.
Thank you all in advance for your help and suggestions! Cheers!

#2 2023-11-11 01:38:41

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thunar behavior with GVfs and admin protocol: password prompt issue

Hello and welcome.

I can repeat the issue. You have to first dismiss, without entering a password, on the initial authentication dialog. Then any further attempt to manipulate "admin:///" will result in that dialog re-appearing annoyingly (from the : onwards).

I would create a bug report to have the developer look at it.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-11-12 01:38:45

kozak243

Re: Thunar behavior with GVfs and admin protocol: password prompt issue

Alrighty, I made a bug report there. Thanks for the response!
[SOLVED]

Board footer