Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-09 18:20:01

mobius

Configuring Applications Menu

Hi all.  I'm using Xfce 4.16 since 4.18 is not yet available in the Salix/Slackware repos (could it be manually installed/updated?).  I prefer the Applications Menu to the Whisker Menu, so I'm using xcape to configure the Super key to open the Applications Menu on the taskbar:

xfce4-popup-applicationsmenu = Alt+Escape
xcape -e 'Super_L=Alt_L|Escape'

The problem is that, when pressing the Super key a second time, it does not cause the Applications Menu to close; that requires pressing Escape.  When I had the same configuration with the Whisker Menu, the Super key would toggle open/close the menu.  Can it be somehow configured to do the same with the Applications Menu?

#2 2024-01-10 16:44:11

bunnymnemonic

Re: Configuring Applications Menu

Hi, XFCE 4.18 is available for Salix: https://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php?t=8521
(Sorry, I do not have an answer for your question, yet. However, I hope this will be a solution for you.)

#3 2024-01-10 17:53:45

eriefisher

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#4 2024-01-10 18:52:48

mobius

Well, thank you both!  It wasn't available in the standard repos of a new Salix 15 install, and being new to Linux, I had no idea about adding extra repos.

So 4.18 is now installed.  I haven't gone looking for the CSD setting, but it appears that it is off by default--great!  Next, let's see if this will help with the Applications Menu Super key.

#5 2024-01-10 21:42:54

mobius

So with 4.18, xcape is no longer required for this function.  Super alone can be used to pop up the Applications Menu, and Super can still be used as modifier for other keys (eg. Super+E for Thunar).

Sadly, Super still does not toggle the menu (the way it does for the Whisker Menu).  Ctrl+Escape, to open the Applications Menu at the mouse pointer position, also does not toggle.  The only way to close the menu in either case, is with the Escape key.  So this seems to be an issue with the Applications Menu, rather than with the particular key combination.  Any ideas?

Board footer