Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-22 07:03:59

CryingBareBeerBear

xfce4 power manager 60 minut maximum fallacy

Leaving setting's argumentation aside (below): do anyone know if it is somehow possible to have display still shut itself down but after limit of 60 minutes?
Also, please excuse if I sound harsh at times - it is my opinion that design choices are not subjects to time/effort limitations the same way other issues are.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I do really appreciate work that has been done one XFCE, helping both decreasing amount of electronic waste and using computer power efficiently, there exist logical inconsistency I would like to point out in regard to available power settings:
Choosing to set maximum inactivity delay option to 60 minutes (if I recall correctly it is decreased from 120 minutes of few versions ago). Since computers are generally really good in waiting, only reason that come to mind is ecological, or in this case "ecological" concerns, seeing that no non obvious workaround by allowing setting to be increased further (or amended with secondary extension option as ugly easy-mode alternative) available via command-line or manual edition of configuration files. Something that would be available if more thought was put into this topic.

Getting to the point:
- What I suspect "eco" argument is: If maximum is set to 60m people will opt for keeping their monitors online for shorter amounts of (unnecessary) time.
- What reality dictate: If maximum is set to 60m, and sufficient research effort (meaning users actually care, and have specific reason to keep off time above it) does not yield any result, off time is then set to infinity (of expected value set around multiple hours, days, weeks) and monitors/PCs stay ON permanently, and completely unnecessarily (even against wishes of its users) which is in my opinion really far from ecological.

Or am I getting something wrong here?

Last edited by CryingBareBeerBear (2024-01-24 06:51:49)

Board footer