Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-29 18:30:13

DavidN0

Questions about ScreenSaver and PowerManagement inhibition

Hello everyone,

I've been researching the issues related to ScreenSaver and PowerManagement inhibition, but I still have some doubts.

I've noticed that both Firefox and SMPlayer correctly call the inhibit and uninhibit methods of ScreenSaver while media is playing. However, I'm puzzled as to why they don't do the same with the equivalent methods of PowerManagement. I've confirmed that the Brave browser does call both ScreenSaver and PowerManagement inhibits, whereas the aforementioned applications only prevent screen blanking but not the idle action, in my case, system suspension.

Is this intentional? Would it be feasible to have the call to the ScreenSaver inhibitor also trigger the PowerManagement inhibitor, or would that not be advisable?

I'd appreciate any insights or suggestions on this matter.

Thank you for your attention and assistance.

#2 2024-01-29 23:22:32

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Questions about ScreenSaver and PowerManagement inhibition

Hello and welcome.

What version of xfce4-power-manager are you running? There has some recent work and commits to 4.19.2 that address inhibition issues. Changelog.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-01-30 22:06:06

DavidN0

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I'm currently using Debian 12 Stable, so the versions I have are as follows:

Firefox: 115.7.0esr (64-bit)
    xfce4-power-manager: 4.18.1-1

I'll check the version you mentioned to see if the issue has been resolved. I appreciate your suggestion and will update you on my findings.

Additionally, I've recorded a video demonstrating the problem I'm encountering with the ScreenSaver and PowerManagement inhibition. You can view it here. Please take a look at it for a better understanding.

Edit:
SMPlayer's behaviour with inhibitors is the same as firefox.

Last edited by DavidN0 (2024-01-30 22:08:10)

#4 2024-02-07 12:34:13

DavidN0

Hello,

I wanted to share an update regarding the problems I've been experiencing with inhibiting ScreenSaver and PowerManagement in Firefox and SMPlayer.

I recently tried using the latest version of Firefox, but unfortunately, I ran into the same problem. In addition, I tried to fix the problem by looking in backports for Debian, particularly the packages needed to upgrade xfce4-power-manager to the latest version. However, I have not been able to get it to work.

Despite these efforts, the problem persists, and I still can't avoid the system hang while using Firefox and SMPlayer.

Is it a problem with Firefox and SMPlayer instead of XFCE?

Thank you for your attention and help.

Last edited by DavidN0 (2024-02-07 12:38:03)

#5 2024-02-07 13:36:37

ToZ
Administrator

DavidN0 wrote:

Hello,

In addition, I tried to fix the problem by looking in backports for Debian, particularly the packages needed to upgrade xfce4-power-manager to the latest version. However, I have not been able to get it to work.

Does this mean that you were able to test xfce4-power-manager version 4.19.2? And if so, did the problem still exist with this version?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2024-02-08 00:00:37

Tamaranch

Xfce4-power-manager 4.18.3 also contains this fix, so you should be able to test with this version as well.

#7 2024-02-12 18:03:07

DavidN0

I don't think there are problems with xfce4-power-manager, because the sleep inhibit signals work with brave-browser, but firefox and smplayer don't, in the video I uploaded I show the behaviour.

But I'm not sure if it's a firefox and smplayer problem to report it.

The video is as follows:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FF7Sxl … sp=sharing

Board footer