Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-14 07:29:21

Skaperen

no window tabs shown for just one user

this problem only affects a single user so i am assuming it is a setting of some kind.  i have rebooted several times and the problem persists.

in user "pdh" (my initials), but not in any other user, when a window is created, nothing is added at the very top row of the screen.   on all other users, opening an icon or running a terminal/shell command that causes a new window to be created also creates a box along the top row of the display with the title of the window.  right click on this box brings up a menu with choices from "Minimize" to "Close".  a left click alternates between minimized an maximized.  for user "pdh" the box just is not there.

Firefox has its own tabs.  those are still shown as expected.  but the tab boxes for a whole Firefox window are not shown.

i have looked around for a setting that could mean this but i find nothing of the sort.  does anyone know if this an Xfce setting, what it might be named, a command to re-enable it. or where to navigate to, to fix this?

#2 2024-04-14 11:52:24

eriefisher

Re: no window tabs shown for just one user

Your talking about the panel? Possibly one of the "Window Header" plugins.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#3 2024-04-15 01:11:27

Skaperen

eriefisher wrote:

Your talking about the panel? Possibly one of the "Window Header" plugins.

that sounds plausible.

would it mean all other users have it?  would it mean every user has it when i installed Xubuntu 20.04 LTS and the previous versions (18.04 and 16.04) i installed Xubuntu?  for 12.04 i installed plain Ubuntu then installed Xfce packages and fell in love with it.

Last edited by Skaperen (2024-04-15 01:12:46)

#4 2024-04-15 10:55:46

eriefisher

By default the panel is there from the start. You don't have to use it but it is the place where the workspace switcher, menu, clock and system-tray go normally as well as many other plugins etc. Have a look in settings>>panel>>items.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#5 2024-04-16 19:54:10

Skaperen

it took me a while to find [settings>>panel>>items] because it was really [settings>>panel>>profile 0>>items].   but in there "Window Buttons" was, indeed, missing.  adding it back fixed the problem.  now i understand the settings better.  i was looking more for a binary and not an ordered set.

Thanks!

Board footer