Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-15 08:41:33

raisedfist
Website

XFCE desktop menu not working

I'm using XFCE on Archlinux for a while now and never had any issues. A few days ago i installed it on  my ubuntu laptop (xubuntu) and I have this problem: whenever I right click on the desktop I get a menu with only three options: Create document, Create folder and Change desktop background.
I'd like to have the default XFCE menu instead of that. How can I achieve that?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2008-09-15 15:11:18

mali2297

Re: XFCE desktop menu not working

Might it be that Nautilus is managing the desktop?

http://spuriousinterrupt.org/projects/xfce4#faq wrote:

10. Help!  My Xfce desktop disappeared!  It looks like GNOME!  And the
          desktop menu is gone too!  What do I do?

* You ran nautilus, didn't you?  By default, Nautilus takes over the desktop when it runs.  First you need to kill Nautilus, and then you should run xfdesktop to make sure Xfce's desktop manager is running.  In the future, when you run Nautilus, pass it the --no-desktop option to instruct it to avoid drawing the desktop.  A more permanent solution is to set the gconf key /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop to "false" (the --no-desktop will no longer be required).  This can be done using the graphical gconf editor, or the command-line gconftool utility.

#3 2008-09-15 18:10:24

raisedfist
Website

mali2297 wrote:

Might it be that Nautilus is managing the desktop?

http://spuriousinterrupt.org/projects/xfce4#faq wrote:

10. Help!  My Xfce desktop disappeared!  It looks like GNOME!  And the
          desktop menu is gone too!  What do I do?

* You ran nautilus, didn't you?  By default, Nautilus takes over the desktop when it runs.  First you need to kill Nautilus, and then you should run xfdesktop to make sure Xfce's desktop manager is running.  In the future, when you run Nautilus, pass it the --no-desktop option to instruct it to avoid drawing the desktop.  A more permanent solution is to set the gconf key /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop to "false" (the --no-desktop will no longer be required).  This can be done using the graphical gconf editor, or the command-line gconftool utility.

tried this... doesn't work sad

#4 2008-09-16 09:15:58

mali2297

Have you looked through the desktop settings? You can reach it via Settings Manager -> Desktop or directly with the command

xfce-setting-show backdrop

Check that Allow Xfce to manage the desktop and Show desktop menu on right click both are enabled.

#5 2008-09-16 15:09:48

raisedfist
Website

mali2297 wrote:

Have you looked through the desktop settings. You can reach it via Settings Manager -> Desktop or directly with the command

xfce-setting-show backdrop

Check that Allow Xfce to manage the desktop and Show desktop menu on right click both are enabled.

That was it! Thanks a lot wink

Board footer