Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-24 18:58:17

RadishRabbit

Dual monitor

I have a laptop using (x)ubuntu 9.04 with both gnome and xfce installed.

The laptop LCD is 1024x768. I also have a second monitor at 1280x1024. I have ATI x300 running the default MESA drive. In genome, the display tool in System -> Preference -> Display somewhat let me change the layout and resolution of each monitor, mimicing what windows can do.

I'm wondering if there is a similar tool in XFCE 4.6. If not, what is the best way to get the dual monitor up and running in XFCE (i do like its speed)

#2 2009-05-19 04:02:25

person98

Re: Dual monitor

Hey, if you still have gnome installed then if you run the command:

gnome-display-properties

Then it will run the utility that you use in gnome and it will still function in the same manner. If you don't have gnome installed it should be availible in one of the packages, i have looked but can't seem to find which package at this time. if you want the ability to easily enable and disable the screen this is definately the way to go, however if you want a more permanent way you can follow the instructions at this link: http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12 best of luck and if you have any other questions i'll be glad to try to answer them.

#3 2009-05-20 15:58:51

FrancisT

person98 wrote:

Hey, if you still have gnome installed then if you run the command:

gnome-display-properties

Then it will run the utility that you use in gnome and it will still function in the same manner. If you don't have gnome installed it should be availible in one of the packages, i have looked but can't seem to find which package at this time.

This almost works for me but in a claen Xubuntu environment (where I found the coorect gnome app) I get an error about a lack of properties when I try to hit "apply".

Xrandr in a console worked fairly well though. However there are a couple of problems that I'm having.

1) The VGA monitor is on my left but I would like it to be my secondary monitor. However when I enable it all the panels etc. move over to it. This is quite irritating particularly as autohide doesn't seem terribly reliable for a panel on the bottom of the monitor. (autohide works but you can't then get it to reappear...)

2) I can't exceed 1152x864 (VGA) plus 1400x1050 (LVDS) even though the monitor should be able to do 1280x1024 and my /etc/X11/xorg.conf has the following:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    Device        "Configured Video Device"
    SubSection "Display"
        Virtual    2800 1050
    EndSubSection
EndSection

When I do manually set the VGA to 1280x1024 I get a swath of repeated display on the right of the VGA.

Francis

#4 2009-05-20 17:19:01

The Recorder

I posted the following on a thread of mine (The Recorder) over at the Ubuntu Forums.  Hope it can help you in some way.

I used the following as my "xorg.conf" file. Save your present "xorg.conf", and then replace the following for what you have. Depending on your setup, you may have to make some changes to the "Virtual", "Device" "options" 2 & 3, and all the entries in the two (2) "Monitor" sections - I had to. It took a few tries, but I finally got it to work; and everything works great. All the credit goes to the poster mentioned at end of this post.

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Dual Head Layout"
Screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Configured Video Device"
SubSection "Display"
Virtual 3200 1200
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Option "monitor-DVI-I_2/analog" "DVI-0"
Option "monitor-DVI-I_1/analog" "DVI-1"
Option "RROutputOrder" "DVI-I_2"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "DVI-1"
Option "Position" "1280 0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "DVI-0"
Option "LeftOf" "DVI-1"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "DontZap" "True"
# Option "Xinerama" "True"
EndSection

Last edited by isilmeraumo; 2009-05-12 at 11:38 AM CDT.

#5 2009-05-21 04:08:00

person98

Francis, just curious are you trying to run Compiz, because that could cause the display not being able to be that large, there are issues rendering opengl on a screen wider then 2048. that would be the first thing i can think of off my head

#6 2009-05-21 05:52:44

FrancisT

No compiz unless Xubuntu installed it by default (don't think so).

Board footer