Xfce Forum

Sub domains
 

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-02 18:31:13

anthonyclark
Member
From: NY
Registered: 2010-03-02
Posts: 4
Website

MIME association [SOLVED]

Hey all,

I'm using the newest XFCE packages (as of today) and I've dealt with improper MIME associations for a while and I'm wondering if there is any solution to AUTOMATICALLY getting thunar to assign default applications depending on MIME data.

I've tried installing gnome-mame-data and running

 sudo update-mime-database -V /usr/share/mime 

And the first time I ran that then killed Thunar, All of the mime types were perfectly associated. As I am installing new apps, the Gimp for example, the native gimp filetype is not associating with The Gimp... they all default the Gedit. Lol. I'm am not COMPLETELY familiar with XDG / XFCE / MIME specifications so I am a little lost.

Thanks for all your help everyone!


--------------------
Arch/Gentoo/Debian

Offline

#2 2010-03-15 20:00:44

anthonyclark
Member
From: NY
Registered: 2010-03-02
Posts: 4
Website

Re: MIME association [SOLVED]

bump


--------------------
Arch/Gentoo/Debian

Offline

#3 2010-03-15 23:10:11

s0ulslack
Moderator
From: Idaho
Registered: 2005-12-25
Posts: 291

Re: MIME association [SOLVED]

Take a peak at the .desktop file for gedit, you might have to edit the MimeInfo line if it contains something to broad.  If so, copy the .desktop file to ~/.local/share/applications/ and edit it there so updates don't clobber changes in /usr/share/applications/.

Offline

#4 2010-03-16 04:30:27

anthonyclark
Member
From: NY
Registered: 2010-03-02
Posts: 4
Website

Re: MIME association [SOLVED]

s0ulslack,

thanks for the insight. While you're clue helped me, it wasn't the solution. After about an hour of avoiding everything in life except mime associations, I figured it out!

I created a new user account a realized that mime associations was perfect for that user. So all i did was delete ~/.local/share/applications/ directory after i realized there was nothing in there i needed; all that was there was wine shortcuts.... so to be safe I uninstalled wine for now. Also, deleting the ~/.cache/Thunar/metafile.tdb database by suggestion from someone else might have helped. Then I logged out of thunar and it's all working.

So, I really dont know how it got all borked. After right clicking > properties > open with > choosing application for like a million things trying to fix this, I think my defaults.list file in ~/.local/share/applications was confused.

' sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime/ -V ' seems to help in keeping file types associated with applications(duh). Hopefully this helps someone!

-Anthony C


--------------------
Arch/Gentoo/Debian

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB