Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-18 15:55:08

ka9qlq
Website

[Solved] How to auto update backgrounds

I auto download weather images to a folder. I'd  like to set up a way to rotate/refresh these as back ground images. Ideas?

#2 2010-10-18 16:26:42

Pindakoe

Re: [Solved] How to auto update backgrounds

There have been several discussions on this forum over the years (but note that 4.6 works  different than 4.4). I use following script which chooses a random image every 15 minutes from a long list:

# Wall paper changer for Xfce 4.6

MONITOR=${1:-0}
export DISPLAY=":0.0"
PROPERTY="/backdrop/screen0/monitor${MONITOR}/image-path"    # list with wallpapers
IMAGE_PATH=`xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -p ${PROPERTY}`
while [ 1 ]; do
  sleep 15m                            # Will start with new wallpaper anyway
  xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -p ${PROPERTY} -s ""        # Zero list
  # Re-set list, thus select random wallpaper
  xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -p ${PROPERTY} -s "${IMAGE_PATH}"
done

The file $IMAGE_PATH looks like:

# xfce backdrop list
file1.jpg
file2.jpg

These sould be complete path/filenames.

I have never looked into setting a certain image as background (which is what you may want); you could just overwrite the image with the new contents and then refresh it

#3 2010-10-19 17:20:47

ka9qlq
Website

Thanks, I'm trying to figure your cove out. Is it BASH or Pearl?

I have never looked into setting a certain image as background (which is what you may want); you could just overwrite the image with the new contents and then refresh it

Ya that's kinda what I did in IceWM like 4-5 years back but I don't keep notes well.

Settings/Desktop/Background lets you make an image list like kde but there's no settings on how often to change the background (I'm ASSuMEing it will rotate them) And will it refresh the image?

#4 2010-10-20 17:56:00

Pindakoe

The Xfce Settings/background cannot automatically change, hence the script (in BASH). I have a second script which once a day traverses some directories and then builds an image lis.

#5 2010-10-20 19:13:42

herd
Website

My wallpaper list does not change often.

With 4.6.1 and later, xfdesktop --reload works again.
So after a crontab -e, typing in:

5 * * * * DISPLAY=:0.0 xfdesktop --reload # Refresh backdrop every 5 min past the hour

will do the job.

#6 2010-10-20 19:36:22

ka9qlq
Website

DISPLAY=:0.0 xfdesktop --reload works great!
Thanks guys

#7 2011-10-04 16:34:53

StephenH
Website

Thanks. This has been puzzling me since I switched to XFCE several weeks back. I added a cron job to do execute this every 15 minutes. The command works great when I tested it in a terminal.

StephenH

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach
http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com

#8 2011-10-04 20:17:10

Sideburns
Website

Even easier is to install and use wallpapoz.  Among other things, you can have different backgrounds for different workspaces.  (That's what I originally wanted, but I found that having one list of backgrounds changing randomly was more interesting.)  And, the programmer is very good about responding to emails.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#9 2011-10-04 20:56:32

StephenH
Website

Given that I did not necessarily want each workspace to have a different background, this command in a cron job is simple and does not require adding a software package to accomplish. However, each is free to choose his or her own option. At least we have a choice. big_smile

Last edited by StephenH (2011-10-04 21:17:03)

StephenH

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

#10 2011-10-05 17:19:46

Pindakoe

The only minor issue with using cron is that this command will also run when you are not logged on. This then results in an error message in your syslog (which you can ignore -- it doesn't hurt)

#11 2011-10-05 17:42:10

StephenH
Website

For me, my desktop system is always logged on (screen locked when not active). My netbook is also always logged on and either active or suspended. Therefore, I do not think I will have to worry about an error message. That being said, I appreciate the information. I'll know to expect it if I should happen to log off and forget to log back on sometime. smile

StephenH

#12 2011-10-05 23:09:47

ToZ
Administrator

Pindakoe wrote:

The only minor issue with using cron is that this command will also run when you are not logged on. This then results in an error message in your syslog (which you can ignore -- it doesn't hurt)

Try the following to suppress the error message:

5 * * * * DISPLAY=:0.0 xfdesktop --reload > /dev/null 2>&1

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#13 2011-10-06 01:22:20

StephenH
Website

Or, using a graphical tool, gnome-schedule, the "Suppress output" might also work. It does still change the background so at least it doesn't break anything (that I can see anyway).

StephenH

#14 2013-03-13 15:30:24

jimwg

Greetings!

A great education here!
Is there anyway to trick it to do change time settings down to ten seconds? .1 doesn't work!

Thanks!

Jim in NYC

Board footer