Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-05 21:31:36

hammered999

How do I change the keyboard layout?

I have added the keyboard layouts I want in the "Applications Menu->Settings->Keyboard" but I don't know how I can change between them.

In GNOME I can choose the key-combination to choose another layout (eg. alt+shift). But in Xfce there doesn't seem to be any support for changing the layout even if I add it to the keyboard settings. Furthermore, there doesn't seem to exist any panel-plugin that shows the current keyboard layout and that let's you change it. Come on guys these things are fundamental.

Yes, I know that you can set the layout in xorg.conf but I DON'T WANT that.

I am GNOME user for quite some time, but I wanted a lighter/snappier gtk experience. I saw the news about Xfce 4.8 and I said "let's give it a serious try". I seriously like it. But I am missing some things here and there. Nothing that can't be fixed by little coding. Overall a pretty good replacement for GNOME.

My distro is Debian Unstable. I am still using GNOME 2.x but I have installed Xfce 4.8 from the experimental repo.

#2 2011-03-06 15:53:18

jeromeg
Website

Re: How do I change the keyboard layout?

Hello,

You can try to install xfce4-xkb-plugin and to add it to your panel, it allows you to quickly change the current keyboard layout. The feature to add a keyboard shortcut to change among the layout added in xfce4-settings is planned for 4.10.

Cheers,

Jérôme

#3 2011-03-06 17:25:27

hammered999

Re: How do I change the keyboard layout?

oh man. I discovered xfce4-xkb-plugin a few hours ago and I just created a debian package for it from git source.

The feature to add a keyboard shortcut to change among the layout added in xfce4-settings is planned for 4.10

Are you serious? One year later? This is a fundamental functionality. Why "Applications Menu->Settings->Keyboard->Layout" even exists if the only thing you can do is add layout and not switch between them?

Thanks anyway.

Last edited by hammered999 (2011-03-06 17:25:41)

Board footer