Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-04 05:01:26

TuxLyn

Switched from Gnome2 to XFCE

I've been Gnome2 user since I've started using linux few years ago. After all that Gnome3 crap, I wanted to try something else. Everyone who hated new Gnome3 recommended XFCE. So I've tried it and now think that its much better then even Gnome2 lol I absolutly love XFCE now. Thank you for developing this desktop environment. I can't wait to see what else XFCE5 will bring now smile There is few things I would love XFCE to have but this is just personal preference and not a big deal if it won't be implemented in the future.

[Thunar]
-- in-line editing option of files and folders, for example like nautilus does.
-- folder size option, for example like in nautilus.
-- option to customize toolbar, like move buttons etc.
-- option to change font family and size in thunar, seperate from default XFCE font config.
-- bookmarks menu, I know there is sidebar bookmakrs but this would be a plus option.
-- tabs would be very good to have, but I read some where else on the forum that this will never happen.

[Keyboard Layout]
-- option to change/install layout flag icons with support for PNG icons.

XFCE own Login Manager kind of like GDM and KDM, but light version just like XFCE it self. Currently I'm using SLiM.

[Power Manager]
-- Battery icon kind of like a battery. So it will show in real time how much UPS power is left.

[Apperance]
-- options to install new themes/icons/fonts and even windows manager themes easier from Apperance window.

Thank you.

#2 2012-05-06 04:35:42

M_Mynaardt

Re: Switched from Gnome2 to XFCE

I'm not a GNOME refugee.  When I was just experimenting with Linux, you know, like you do, I just found I rather liked Xfce because of little touches, like right clicking the mouse anyhwere on the desktop to bring up the Xfce System Menu.

Like you, one thing I'd really like to see in Thunar is tabbing.  Rather than having to open a separate Thunar window for each and every folder, if you're trying to look at multiple directories for whatever reason.  Tabbing is one feature I really like with the PCManFM file manager in LXDE.

~*~  M_Mynaardt  ~*~

Xfce is a computer's friend
Always trust an OS using Xfce

#3 2013-01-08 23:04:27

TuxLyn

Re: Switched from Gnome2 to XFCE

I've been using XFCE4 + Arch Linux since October 3, 2011 now and very happy with it. Here is summery of features that has been improved and features I would still like to see in the future. Possibly XFCE 4.12 would be awesome.

" Thunar, in-line editing option of files and folders, for example like nautilus does. "
Still waiting on this feature, thunar still uses this old style dialog popup.

" Thunar, folder size option, for example like in nautilus. "
There is no column for folder size or item count. Would be very nice feature to have.

" Thunar, option to customize toolbar, like move buttons etc. "
Even throught "Location Selector" and "Side Pan" has been improved in latest version, still no good toolbar.

" Thunar, option to change font family and size, seperate from default XFCE font config. "
Even when you using zoom feature, it wont zoom in font to be bigger and of course no font config options.

One option that I'm sure many of us been waiting for was "TABS". I've found this by acident lol by pressing CTRL+T and was very suprised to see it. Since I haven't think of even checking under "File" hahaha. Thank you so much for this feature.

" Keyboard Layouts Widget, option to change/install any custom icons for flags with png support. "
No offance but default icons is very uggly and big. Something like FamFamFam icon flags would be much better for some of us.

" Apperance, options to install new themes/icons/fonts and even windows manager themes easier from Apperance window. "
Still not possible without having to login to root and adding this manually. O_o

" XFCE's own Login Manger kind of like Slim would be very nice.
Still using slim, default xfce login manager would be nice.

Everything else, so far so good at least for me. I'm very happy with XFCE even without those above tweaks. Again thank you for all the hard working people that make XFCE possible. Looking forward to XFCE 4.12

Board footer