Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-09 10:15:29

crazy bird
Website

System halts on boot.

Hi,

I’ve tried to install Xubuntu 11.10 on my system. The installation went smoothly till I had to reboot my system in order to finalize the installation. Booting the BIOS gave no problems, I saw the boot screen of Xubuntu and after a few seconds it started blinking and then I saw a black screen with those “command lines” (or boot sequence or how-do-you-call it) and then my system halted. Nothing happened except the cursosr whoch was blinking. No hard disc activity, nothing. I let the system  that way for a half an hour and still nothing happened.

My system:
Asus P5KPL-AM Motherboard
Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q8200 (4M Cache, 2.33 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
NVidia Geforce 9800GT
4 Gigabyte memory

1 TB HDD
500 Gb HDD

1.5 TB external USB Disc

HP ePhotosmart B110a

Does anyone know what my problem might be? And is there a solution for my problem?
Many thanks in advance!

#2 2011-11-09 11:59:33

angstrom

Re: System halts on boot.

You will have better luck asking Xubuntu forum. Also, you will have to give more information like if there is error message in the boot sequence. Unless there is specific bug on Ubuntu with your hardware.

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#3 2011-11-09 13:20:37

crazy bird
Website

angstrom wrote:

You will have better luck asking Xubuntu forum. Also, you will have to give more information like if there is error message in the boot sequence. Unless there is specific bug on Ubuntu with your hardware.

Thanks for your reply!

I already placed the same question on the Ubuntu forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? … st11440095).

For your info: I don't get any error messages. They only way to stop this is by rebooting my system. I don't suffer from any bugs i' aware of. I had never this kind of issues under Ubuntu (7.04/7.10/8.04/8.10/9.04/9.10/10.04).

Last edited by crazy bird (2011-11-09 13:21:19)

#4 2011-11-09 20:20:54

Sideburns
Website

If your system's hanging during boot, and before you log in, XFCE has nothing to do with it because it doesn't start until you log in, and then only if you've selected it as your DE (the default in Xubuntu).  I've replied to your question on the Ubuntu forum, not because I'm an expert in such things but because I know what kind of information's needed that you left out.  (Don't feel bad, it takes time and experience to learn these things.)

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#5 2011-11-11 07:33:06

crazy bird
Website

Sideburns wrote:

If your system's hanging during boot, and before you log in

Correct, maybe this is the qrong place to ask such questions, but my idea was xubuntu+xfce, this is the rigth place to ask.

, XFCE has nothing to do with it because it doesn't start until you log in, and then only if you've selected it as your DE (the default in Xubuntu).  I've replied to your question on the Ubuntu forum, not because I'm an expert in such things but because I know what kind of information's needed that you left out.  (Don't feel bad, it takes time and experience to learn these things.)

It is indead when the systems boot after the BIOS boot/startup. Just before the login screen. I'll continue on the Ubuntu forum.

Board footer