Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-01 19:25:11

Dusenberg

Moved from Unity

I've used ubuntu since 7.10 on laptop and desktop and loved it.  Then 11.10 came round and with it Unity. Rubbish - destroyed the wonderfull usability completely. I stuck with it for 2 months trying various tweaks but with no luck - the flaws are just too big.

Now I'd already been using xubuntu live on usb stick for image backups because its light and easy, so I decided to scratch ubuntu and go xubuntu on my laptop and zbox media box. What a breath of fresh air! Normality is back.

Well done xfce guys for not screwing up your product!

#2 2012-02-09 09:12:58

jvdurme

Re: Moved from Unity

Hi Dusenberg,

same for me. First I hated the big change from Gnome to Unity. Tried Mint, all flavours, but I found too many bugs and multi screen support was lacking.
So back to Ubuntu, which is still one of the most stable distro's I know.
I worked with Unity for 2 months, with dual screens. Just when I began to not hate the launcher, I noticed it was decreasing my productivity.
Also dual screens with a launcher on the left side is not handy. It hampers the whole flow. And the launcher appears when you don't want it, e.g. when you traverse the mouse to the other screen.
They tried to solve that with more Unity Compiz settings with mouse pressure and such, but that's fixing a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place.

So I found it enough. Enter Xubuntu, a few hours of customization and voila! Ready to work. Finally a Desktop that is serving the user. Not fighting the user.
I love Xfce, I'm having fun again. :-)

Xubuntu 12.04 Alpha 2

Board footer