Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-17 18:08:35

chrisb

libnotify notifications appear at top-right, ignore Settings?

I am using Ubuntu 11.04 XFCE with a dual-monitor setup. Notifications always appear on the top-right of the right side monitor. This is not the best place as my attention is usually focussed on the left side monitor.

If I go to XFCE Settings Manager / Notifications and try changing the theme or default position it has no effect. All notification bubbles still appear in the top-right of the right side monitor, and in the same theme.

I filed a bug report for this at Launchpad https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/984230

Has anyone else seen this issue?

#2 2012-04-18 19:32:33

Caton

Re: libnotify notifications appear at top-right, ignore Settings?

Do you have Ubuntu's default notify-osd daemon installed? Maybe it is in conflict with Xfce's native notification daemon...

Last edited by Caton (2012-04-18 19:33:19)

#3 2012-04-18 22:25:41

chrisb

Yes, apparently when it comes to notification daemons, there can be only one.. unfortunately, the right one does not get run, and the packages aren't marked to conflict. XFCE developers closed the bug report, so I assume that according to XFCE developers, you are not supposed to have Gnome and XFCE installed on the same system.

#4 2012-04-18 23:22:13

qwerty12

Why not just remove one? XFCE's notification daemon isn't tied to XFCE AFAIK (though I haven't actually used it under any DE other than XFCE), although it does rely on xfconf. Both NotifyOSD and xfce4-notifyosd are both implementations of the FreeDesktop Notification Standard (http://www.galago-project.org/specs/not … index.html) so notifications would work equally well under any of them (although I prefer xfce4-notifyosd as it provides an 'X' button on notifications without patching and it has support for buttons on notifications).

Since NotifyOSD is totally unconfigurable (and it's meant to be "just there" hence why you can't close its notifications manually and why it doesn't support buttons on notifications), XFCE can't change its settings. To do what you want, you can either get rid of NotifyOSD and use XFCE's notification daemon (which will start once NotifyOSD goes) or get rid of xfce4-notifyosd and use leolik's patched NotifyOSD which does let you set the position of its notifications. If you're running Precise (which is what I suspect as xfce4-notifyosd in Natty would actually conflict because they share a file), however, leolik's PPA does not have a Precise build.

#5 2012-04-19 00:14:44

chrisb

Thanks for pointing that out, I had assumed that notify-osd would be a dependency of gnome-desktop, but that is not the case. It would avoid future bug reports if XFCE pointed out that the wrong notification manager, was running either when you login or when you try and fail to configure notifications.

Board footer