Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-02 17:06:39

jt_04

[Solved] login loop after 4.10 install - libxfce4util.so.6 not found

Hello

I'm new to xfce...I installed 4.8 from the repos on my Ubuntu 12.04 machine successfully. But then I thought I would go for the gold and download/compile/install 4.10. I followed all the instructions here and everything was successful (I used /usr/local as my install location). However, after rebooting, I can't login to an xfce session. The screen flashes black and then loops back to the login screen and I get the following in .xsession-errors:

openConnection: connect: No such file or directory
cannot connect to brltty at :0
xfce4-session: error while loading shared libraries: libxfce4util.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or 
directory

However, when I do this, I can see that the library does exist:

$ sudo updatedb
$ locate libxfce4util.so.6

/usr/local/lib/libxfce4util.so.6
/usr/local/lib/libxfce4util.so.6.0.0

If I try to run xfwm4, I get the same error.

Can anyone please help? I'm really hoping to get xfce running smoothly!

Thanks,
jt

#2 2012-08-02 17:57:14

jt_04

Re: [Solved] login loop after 4.10 install - libxfce4util.so.6 not found

ok, I got around that problem by installed to /usr instead of /usr/local. My libraries are in /usr/lib now and I can login to xfce.

I'm still having major problems with my panel. I can't add any items. If I start the panel through xfce4-panel and try to add an item, I get:

(xfce4-panel:3311): xfce4-panel-CRITICAL **: Failed to load module "/usr/local/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libapplicationsmenu.so": /usr/local/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libapplicationsmenu.so: undefined symbol: xfce_dialog_show_help.

(process:3343): GLib-WARNING **: (/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.32.3/./glib/gerror.c:390):g_error_new_valist: runtime check failed: (domain != 0)

(process:3343): xfce4-panel-wrapper-CRITICAL **: Wrapper applicationsmenu-1: Failed to open plugin module "/usr/local/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libapplicationsmenu.so": /usr/local/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libapplicationsmenu.so: undefined symbol: xfce_dialog_show_help.
xfce4-panel-Message: Plugin applicationsmenu-1 has been automatically restarted after crash.

(process:3345): GLib-WARNING **: (/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.32.3/./glib/gerror.c:390):g_error_new_valist: runtime check failed: (domain != 0)

(process:3345): xfce4-panel-wrapper-CRITICAL **: Wrapper applicationsmenu-1: Failed to open plugin module "/usr/local/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libapplicationsmenu.so": /usr/local/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libapplicationsmenu.so: undefined symbol: xfce_dialog_show_help.

the modules that it refers to do exist. please help!

Last edited by jt_04 (2012-08-02 19:32:03)

#3 2012-08-03 00:46:03

jt_04

Re: [Solved] login loop after 4.10 install - libxfce4util.so.6 not found

I fixed all my problems by completing purging xfce4.8 and xfce4.10 and installing to /usr. Also, I was using a bash script to loop through the directories and compile, which wasn't working (the executables weren't getting installed). So, starting from a clean slate and manually configuring/making each package worked perfect.

hope this helps someone else...

Board footer