Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-08 05:06:32

jupiter

Command line to check file system

Hi,

What is the command line to check if the file system is running on thunar or nautilus?

Thank you.

Kind regards.

j

#2 2012-11-08 22:09:39

Sideburns
Website

Re: Command line to check file system

Thunar and nautilus are file managers, rather like Windows Explorer is for Windows.  If you're using Xfce, you're using thunar unless you specifically run something else.  If you're still confused, this may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_manag … le_manager

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#3 2012-11-09 23:48:47

jupiter

Sideburns wrote:

Thunar and nautilus are file managers, rather like Windows Explorer is for Windows.  If you're using Xfce, you're using thunar unless you specifically run something else.  If you're still confused, this may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_manag … le_manager

Thanks for your response. Sorry, I was asking if there is command line in xfce to check the file manager whether it is running on thunar or nautilus. I've got many remote systems running on xfce and Centos 6, I want to use ssh and command line to check the file manager, rather than to open vnc to view each file system. Surelly there must have some command line to check which file manager is running, am I wrong, there is no command line could be used to check file manager?

Thank you.

Kind regards.

j

#4 2012-11-09 23:55:09

Sideburns
Website

Yes, there's a way to check, but don't call me Shirley!

ps aux | grep thunar

will return one line for grep and, if thunar's running, one for it; substitute nautilus as needed.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#5 2012-11-11 09:48:47

jupiter

Sideburns wrote:

Yes, there's a way to check, but don't call me Shirley!

ps aux | grep thunar

will return one line for grep and, if thunar's running, one for it; substitute nautilus as needed.

Thanks very much. That is the one I am looking for. I guess I can also to run the command line either invoking "thunar" or "nautilus" to swich the file manager between thunar and nautilus, am I correct?

Thank you.

Kind regards.

jupiter

#6 2012-11-11 11:40:50

secipolla

Check their man pages. Nautilus last time I knew had to have a flag telling it not to manage the desktop too.

Board footer