Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-25 13:07:19

vedg

XFCE panel (Deskbar mode) notification area glitch

Hi,

I'm experiencing a glitch for some icons in notification area in Manjaro (stable, x64, XFCE 4.11).
Sometimes icons in Deskbar's notification area have black stripes at the bottom and right (Deskbar_glitch.png).
It happens on system start or when some icon disappears.
Octopi ( http://octopiproject.wordpress.com/ ) icon is most often affected, but some others look like this too sometimes (Skype icon, for example).

FluxBB bbcode test
FluxBB bbcode test

I've experienced this with Maximum icon size (px) = 24 and Maximum icon size (px) = 25.
I have tried changing Maximum icon size in Notification area properties, when glitch was visible. After changing size things go back to normal (Deskbar_normal.png). After this - no matter what Maximum icon size I set - black stripes don't appear until reboot.

It's also worth to note that octopi-notifier, which is most often affected by the glitch, doesn't always appear in notification area on startup, but this is most probably strictly Octopi issue.

Things, I have tried to resolve the issue (based on Manjaro forum users' suggestions and my own ideas):
- clearing sessions;
- changing state of "Show frame" checkbox in notification area properties;
- generating  cache file for my icon theme (Faenza);
- switching theme and icon theme, while glitch is present, doesn't affect it (it remains visible no matter how many times I change one of these themes);
- as Octopi has only 32x32 icons in /usr/share/icons/octopi*.png and in /usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32/apps/octopi.png, I've made links for Octopi icons from /usr/share/icons/ in /usr/share/icons/Faenza/apps/32/ and updated icon cache for Faenza. This attempt did not fix neither Octopi missing icon issue, nor black stripes glitch, because after 2 reboots I had missing icon once and glitch the second time.

None of these actions helped, so I'm asking about this here.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Last edited by vedg (2013-11-25 13:08:23)

#2 2013-12-25 11:25:23

vedg

Re: XFCE panel (Deskbar mode) notification area glitch

I've found that this glitch happens only with Qt apps' icons.
I have 3 such icons: goldendict, octopi, skype - glitch happens for all of them sometimes.
I have both qt5 and qt4 installed, at least goldendict is using qt4. I suppose that octopi and skype are using qt4 too.
Does anyone else experience this kind of glitch?

#3 2014-01-25 08:47:25

vedg

This bug was somehow fixed with the last Manjaro update-pack: 10 boots and no glitch.
Bug with octopi icon not always appearing in notification area was solved with this update-pack too.

#4 2014-03-24 07:55:24

vedg

The issue is back along with newest XFCE 4.11 packages sad

Workaround: setting maximum icon size (px) = 22 in notification area properties eliminates the glitch.

Last edited by vedg (2014-03-28 08:40:48)

Board footer